Tangles in running line - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Fly chucker

Tangles in running line

I thoroughly enjoy fishing with the Atlantis, but one headache has emerged. The running line tends to twist in the stripping basket, leading to kinks, knots, and pure messes that require time to untangle. Not only is this cutting into my fishing time, but it's cutting down on my casting distance when these kinks lodge in the rod guides and cut the casts short.

Prior to using the Atlantis, I had never used shooting head systems. I'm wondering if the potential causes could be:

Is my running line (Orvis 30 pound floater) garbage?

Is the stripping basket simply too small for the amount of line I'm now throwing? I've found that using my Kennebec basket allows for a greater amount of line to be held, but the tangles still occur.

Is the heavier shooting head destined to try and find the bottom of the basket because it's so much heavier than the running line, fouling it?

Of course there are probably other potential causes that I'm not yet aware of, but could someone out there please enlighten me?

I'd like to spend more time fishing and less time untangling.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Registered Spey Offender

It gets worse if you use mono. My basket is large. The same hand basket you would find at Safeway. I have small cones in the bottom (I should post a pic). Being aware of how you lay the line in the basket, not just one spot, kind of spread around (I try to go around to each corner in a clockwise motion). Never keep more in there than you need. Sometimes if the last ten feet just sits in the bottom without getting out, it will twist from stripping above it. I'll leave the last ten feet out or just toss it out and start stripping in from there. That way the whole length of line that I am using gets the kinks stretched out. Keeping the basket under the rod while shooting instead of at an angle. Geez, I don't know what else to think of. I'm on my own for learning this over head crap out here on the west coast.

Matt Burke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2004, 01:44 PM
LBFF Mojo

I use 50lb slickshooter and get tangles sometimes. I think it is just something that will happen every once in a while.

You really need to pay attention to how you are placing the line in the basket. I usually use a 2 handed retrive and I make sure to strip the line into opposite sides of the basket on each strip. I actually physically hit the sides of my basket on each strip with each hand as it helps me remeber to pay attention to how I am placing the line in the basket and this seems to eliminate most of the tangle problems.

-sean
Old 08-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered Spey Offender

This is my basket. Very large, but I don't care. Notice the cones. There were more like the ones with the square base, but in trying to constantly modify the bottom, I broke them. Found some spinners in a R/C Airplane Shop and they fit the bill. I'd put in 4" ones if they weren't 70 bucks. Those are 3". This set up produces the least amount of tangles in mono. PVC lines are not near as bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basket.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	3658  

Matt Burke

Last edited by mattzoid; 08-27-2004 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The biggest factor IMHO is basket design, then the fact that there is so much more of it being used for casting, then the running like itself.

Baskets are so inadequate I've decided to commision engineers to build a 3D Cad model of my new design for gathering quotes from plastics companies in the area. I consider this the root cause because a good basket can make most running lines workable, where changing the running line won't help a bad basket. I am planning to patent, manufacture and sell this new basket.

When making moderate casts, any running line seems manageable. But when you suddenly can throw close to or up to the backing knot all the time that's a huge amount of line in the basket.

With today's commercially available baskets, switching the running line makes a difference to a point. The steady howl with 35 mph gusts at Boneclave were beyond that point, but under normal conditions the running line you use makes a big difference. I have been wondering if a sinking shooting line would be a good option to keep things in the basket.

However in the end a well-made basket (far beyond what we use today) is the core solution and should be where one spends their attention in solving this problem.

Juro
Old 08-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Registered Spey Offender

Actually, I was thinking of going one step further with my design as off the shelf plastics don't really fit the bill. I am going to build fiberglass molds and experiment with different shapes and sizes on the cones. I believe PVC running line will require a different shape than mono, but overall, a cone along the lines of a spinner like I have pictured, is the best for shooting. My basket is just a mock up and I will be working on size and placement. And then, once I have the perfect bottom I will build molds to fit the bottom of off the shelf baskets. These will be placed in say an Orvis as an upgrade. This would work to my advantage in several ways. I don't have to worry about basket patents and only have to patent the mold design. Cost is reduced in shipping and production because there are thousands of baskets already out there that need a "Burke Bottom." Most guys are not going to want to buy another basket when all they really need is to just drop a few bucks on a "Burke Bottom." Once the molds are made I can turn them out as needed. I'll have my "Burke Bottom" running all up and down the west coast. Guess what I am going to call it and you know you're going to want it. The puget Sound tested Burke Bottom.

Matt Burke

Last edited by mattzoid; 08-28-2004 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.