Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cancun

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JR SPEY 
#1 ·
Just got back from a 5 day trip - stayed at a great small hotel in Cancun and fished up around Isla Blanca for baby tarpon, permit and bones - Went with Bill Kiene with a total of 6 guys who all pretty much knew each other - a really great trip. Two had grand slams during the week and we all had multiple opportunities at slams each day. Fishing was much better than catching but if it were easy we would all take up golf!! There were incredible numbers of permit and lots of tarpon and fewer bones

A guy a couple of weeks previous on his first salt water trip had a grand slam the first day and a super grand slam the second. He wrote an incredible statement in the hotel journal: "Permit work the mind.. but Tarpon bring out the heart of the child."

#2 ·
Rick

Sounded like a decent trip... I wish I'd gone to Mexico instead of Egypt... Fishing the Red sea from the shore is a big no-no, especially on South Sinai. Shame as the fish I saw whilst snorkelling was incredible and kinda got me worked up as there was no fishing allowed. :Eyecrazy:

Did you get any shots at Jack Crevalle?

#3 ·
No Jacks around.

For a great read go to Dan Blanton's site and click on a post of the Yucatan by Alan Townsend. He went to the same place for two days after talking to our group and he wrote an awsome travel adventure - one of the best bits of writing I have seen in awhile!!

#6 ·
A flats' grand slam is a bonefish, permit, and tarpon, all caught in the same day. A super slam adds a snook to that. This can vary a bit depending upon the water you're fishing, but is quite consistent in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and their connecting bodies of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.