New Flycasting DVD - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 04:03 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
New Flycasting DVD

Lefty Kreh has released a new video on the art and science of flycasting. It has a lot of new info, e.g. wind casts, curve casts and various roll casts. He dwells on his four basic points of flycasting at the beginning. I think this is good info for both the beginner and the intermediate caster. There are a couple of good tips for the advanced caster.

Some of our sponsors should be carrying this video, titled "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting."

Simms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jim -

What are his four basic principles? I have his last video and can guess but since you just watched it...

thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 08:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
From Memory:

1. You can not make any kind of a cast, until you get the end of your fly line moving.

2. A fly rod is nothing but a very expensive lever-The further you move the lever, the more it helps you make the cast.

3. Your fly line is going to travel in the direction the rod tip travels at the end of the casting stroke.

4. The size of your loop is determined by the distance the rod tip travels during the speed-up-and-stop.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Jay did a good job from memory. Here are his four casting principles verbatum:
1. You must get the line moving before you can cast.
2. The line goes in the direction the tip speeds up and stops.
3. The loop size is determined by the length of the speed up and stop.
4. The more help needed on the cast, the longer the rod should travel on the back and forward cast.

He also throws in some aids to casting:
- Footwork
- Thumb and wrist control
- Elbow on a shelf.

Simms
Old 07-23-2004, 06:53 PM

The Elbow on a Shelf concept was a tremendous help to me for smooth longer distance casting. That along with the minimizing wrist motion are very important.

It is not the conventional style of casting with most FF that use the 10:00 to 1:00 rotation method. This style works fine however, it requires very good timing and more hand / wrist strength than the Lefty Kreh style.

Lefty's basic principles of casting sound strange at first reading, the longer I study casting the more I appreciate how they are universal to any style.

Regards,
Fred Krow
Old 07-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey All...

This is sorta off the subject but not entirely. I want to stock a rank beginners fly casting video. While I'm not advocating a video over instruction from a qualified caster the reality is some will want a video that will get them started. Also how about something for the intermediae caster. I'm talking single hand rods. I have several very good spey videos. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, MJC
Old 08-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Jay did a good job from memory. Here are his four casting principles verbatum:
1. You must get the line moving before you can cast.
2. The line goes in the direction the tip speeds up and stops.
3. The loop size is determined by the length of the speed up and stop.
4. The more help needed on the cast, the longer the rod should travel on the back and forward cast.

Simms
Jim, Jay, et al -

#3 - loop size == length of S.U.S...

what is your interpretation or Lefty's explanation of this? Is this referring to the tight loop verses big loop principle or another concept of "size of loop"?

Big loop verses small loop has a different connotation in my mind, based on path of rod travel and position of stop relative to speed-up verses "length" per se.

I am always intrigued by Lefty's wisdom but I am curious how this one should be interpreted.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Juro, what I think Lefty is saying there is that the size of your loop is determined by the distance the tip of the rod travels during the speed-up-and-stop.

Bear in mind that these are not, " Lefty's," principles, but merely his statements of what he and many others believe to be scientific facts based on physics, and stated in what he believes to be a simplified way for people to understand how to improve their casting.

The path of the rod tip travel is covered by the principle about the line traveling in the direction of the rod tip during the speed-up-and-stop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.