Nature's Poachers - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 05:12 PM

Nature's Poachers

Last year for the two weeks that we fished for Atlantic salmon in a river in Labrador the lower two pools had a feeding loon as a resident "guest". It was there when we arrived and was still there when we left. I wonder how much of the resource that bird destroyed and whether or not such an occurance should be permitted. I know a number of anglers (myself included) tried without success to drive the bird away. When I expressed my concers to a river warden, he suggested that there was nothing that he could do and to "put it in writing" to the appropriate government department. This year the grilse run was noticably smaller (only a fraction of other years). No doubt low water levels and high water temps could be the factor and they might increase later but if a feeding loon spent a whole summer feeding in the river it must surely have had an effect?
This season we also visited another Labrador river farther north...access made possible by a new road(dirt) which goes as far as Cartwright. This one also had a resident poacher...a seal! The do-gooders who have played havoc with the annual seat hunt here in Newfoundland have already caused a catastrophic decrease in the cod population and now the seals, whose numbers have risen dramatically, are obviously turning to the rivers as a source of food.
Both these creatures...the loon and the seal...are well known for the huge amounts of fish they consume. When they threaten a precious resource that is already decreasing in numbers, what should be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 01:48 AM

I thought everyone in America had the right to carry arms.
Shoot them

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 07-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Fly chucker

Since Labrador is in Canada, the American right to bear arms doesn't really apply.

As for shooting these animals, I'd be darned sure that they aren't protected before I took such action. I know that loons are protected in many states, so it may also be the case in certain Canadian provinces.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Fluff

Malcolm, I'm sure you really don't think shooting something so popular that the government recognizes it on currency is a valid option
Old 07-20-2004, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
Since Labrador is in Canada, the American right to bear arms doesn't really apply. .
Never could quite work out the colonies former or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
As for shooting these animals, I'd be darned sure that they aren't protected before I took such action. I know that loons are protected in many states, so it may also be the case in certain Canadian provinces.
Reminds me of the old scottish gamekeeper that shot a bird of prey which was damaging his grouse he was berated by a passing busybody who pointed out that the species was protected, he walked over poked at the dead bird with his foot and said "well that booger wasnae"

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 07-21-2004, 06:31 AM

Misspent youth...

That story reminded me of my youth - my buddy and I were varmint hunting near my favorite grouse cover. A large goshawk was sitting on a post about 175 yards away, intently surveying the cover. I quickly got into prone position and was aiming through the scope when my buddy said, "But they're protected...."

I quickly replied, "No one protecting HIS a$$!" followed by POW and a cloud of feathers.....

(I was a bad kid!!!)

BobK
Old 07-21-2004, 04:54 PM

We have the same problems out here in the Pacific Northwest with seals and indians. Hmmm, resident "guests" I guess what you mean by that is Loons are residents and we are guests, eh! Oh, maybe we are residents too. I think we should shoot the loons if we can prove in a court of law that they have over fished the resourse for the last 50 years with gill nets, land development, over harvest of timber and the over bonking of mature fish by sport fishermen. I think we should do the same out here with the seals and indians eh!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:15 AM
LBFF Mojo

There are too many fisherman on my local waters gettting there before me and catching all the fish. I propose we just start shooting them...for the environment's sake

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.