spinning and stacking deer hair - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 12:25 AM

spinning and stacking deer hair

I've tied some pretty decent deer hair bugs, but i was at a fly shop the other day and was looking through the bass bugs they had for sale, there were pretty incredible. The deer hair on the bugs was so tightly packed and trimmed so it actually resemble cork. I just can't seem to get my bugs to look like that. How do they do it? Is it the spinning/stacking technique? The trimming technique? The deer hair?

CDG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 06:33 AM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG
. . . The deer hair on the bugs was so tightly packed and trimmed so it actually resemble cork. I just can't seem to get my bugs to look like that. How do they do it? Is it the spinning/stacking technique? The trimming technique? The deer hair?

CDG
Yes, yes and yes, and also the packing technique

Do you know if they were hand-tied? I've bought a couple of pre-packaged bass bugs (Sci-Angler) that were packed very tightly. Try as I might, I could not get mine to come out like the pre-packaged ones. I'm pretty sure they were made by machine, which may explain how they were packed so tightly.

I posted a similar question a while back and got some good responses. Try using the "search" function on this site (search for "deer hair") and you will find that thread, along with lots of other useful info. A few of the guys on this board are quite talented when it comes to spinning deer hair!

Q
Old 07-13-2004, 06:50 AM
Kodiak Alaska

Small amount of hair, pack, small amount of hair, pack........keep doing this about 50 times and you get a decent tightness. I'm not a pro at dear hair but I found this to work best. Try tying a knot after each bunch, it keeps wraps tight. Also once you get a decent shape with your scissors try taking it out of the vice and using a thin (double sided) razor blade to trim the rest. A little pressure from the sides and you get a nice bend.
Good Luck!!

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:04 AM
Fly chucker

I agree with Quentin that you should use the search feature in this forum. There have been a few lengthy discussions on this topic, some dating back to a few years ago.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:51 AM
President of CAC

I learned to stack deer hair by watching John M. (his last name escapes me for the momment)..at UFT here in Mass...But his bass bugs were incredible.... he would only superglue the first aplication of the spun hair..that is, glue the thread wraps to the shank in front of the stacked hair... then he would not do that for each application so that the thread AND hairs would push easier together along the shank(Slide along the shank unimpeded ) and it would really pack them in...then, as already mentioned.... a razor blade conpletes the job. Trim down with scissors first...then use the razor for the finishing touchs.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Pullin' Thread

CDG,

The two things needed to produce a very tightly packed spun hair body are: 1) never use a bunch of hair larger than your little finger (and one that is a little larger than a pencil or pen in diameter is best); and 2) use a hair stacking tool (I prefer and use the Brassie tool; but any of the hair packing tools on the market will work-in fact, I way back in the 1960's when I learned how to spin and stack deer hair, I was taught to use a Bic pen barrel and they still work very well) to push the hair back against itself after each bunch is tied on. When you puch the hair back against itself, remember to hold on to the hook with your other hand or it could bend. Also, after each hair bunch is tied in, take 2 turns of thread directly in front of it. And never put cement on until after a bunch of hair is pushed back on itself.

Doing these simple things will result in spun hair bodies that will be as tight as those you saw in the store. And you will also find out why spun hair bodied flies cost what they do because of the time it takes to do it properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.