Need help setting up rod/line - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Recent Member

Location: Nova Scotia, Atlantic ocean amoung many fresh water brooks and rivers.
Need help setting up rod/line

Hello,
I'm a complete nub and bought a fairly basic rod/reel etc. to see if I like fly fishing.
I'm just wondering if there are specific ways to attach the fly line to the reel, the lead line to the fly line and fly to the lead line.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I dunno my knots but will look them up if you state specific ones.
-Allan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Jonesin...

Allan,

I highly reccomend that you get a book called "Practical Fishing Knots" by Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin. It has just about every knot you can imagine for all types of fishing. I believe it is only about $15 so not a bad investment. Most fly shops have it. I would think if you bought the outfit from a shop they will help you out. Some might even in the hope of getting your future business. If thats not possible try finding the following on the internet.

Arbor Knot for backing to reel.
Surgeon's Loop to create a loop in the backing
Double Nail Knot loop in the back of the fly line
Nail Knot for fly line to leader
Clinch knot for leader to fly

Hope that helps.

Sean
Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 PM

A fisherman's must have book.

Joan Wulff's Fly Fishing, Stackpole 1991 is the book I recommend to all fly fishing friends.

The chapter on casting, if I had read it when I began fly fishing, would have saved me 8 years of frustration, pain and cortisone shots.

But the book also covers the basics of everything about the sport from its heritage to casting, tackle, knots, reading water, striking and capturing, wading, ethics, guides and more. If one were to fly fish and be allowed only one book, this is the one.

Don't be put-off by the sub-title, "Expert Advice from a Woman's Perspective." The publisher put it there to attract the large number of new female fly fishers, and there is nothing in the book that does not apply to men.

Last edited by Bob Pauli; 06-04-2004 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.