Spey Fishery Board 2004 policy - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 03:58 AM

Spey Fishery Board 2004 policy

I am in receipt of the Spey Fishery Board salmon conservation fishery policy and would like to open a thread on Board Rule No: 3 which states ; " Where possible the numbers of hours and rods fished should be limited. " I have written to the Fishery Board to ask for a guidline on this policy as it seems rather loose to say the least. Does this mean that the Ghillies will rest the pools overnight or conduct the usual practice of fishing for seatrout all night ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2004, 04:20 AM

Many beats limit total fishing effort to 12 hours in any 24 hour period. Tulchan limits this to 10 hours. So you have some flexibility as to the time of day that you fish, although some beats stipulate that you cannot start before a certain time of day.

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi
Old 02-16-2004, 04:27 AM

Re: Spey Fishery Board 2004 policy

Quote:
Originally posted by mickgbell
Does this mean that the Ghillies will rest the pools overnight or conduct the usual practice of fishing for seatrout all night ?
Rather a bold statement,I fish the Spey probably more than most, the gillies I know do not fish for seatrout all night as you suggest, many would be deeply hurt that anyone would make such a statement on an open forum, unless they could back it up with some evidence.

As I undestand it the guests who let the water have the final say in who fishes no gillie I know would dream of fishing in the evenings or at night unless invited to do so by the guests.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 02-16-2004, 06:08 AM

Speaking as a member of the Spey Fishery Board & Chairman of its Research Trust, I can verify what Wilie Gunn says.

There is more than one way of exercising catch restraint & even if the Scottish Executive's & my own favoured method is catch & release, this recommendation re reduced fishing effort is an acknowledgement that some beats choose to exercise restraint in this way. It is not meant to be precise. Some for example do not fish at all until April. Others have reduced the no of rods or the no of hours fished.

We consider catch & release at 70% was a great success last year and as a result are continuing the same policy unchanged for 2004 rather than tinker with it.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:09 AM

I am sorry if I have offended anyone , I am not saying ALL ghillies fish all or every night, but it has been known for Ghillies and friends( and customers I suspect) to fish for sea trout at night. I note the catch of sea trout is significantly down in 03 , maybe as a result of reduced effort, does anyone know where or when the 2700 were caught last year ?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:29 AM

You are restricted in the hours you fish in any given 24 hour period, so if you fish at night for sea trout then you will have to reduce the amount of time before nightfall that you fish for salmon. So in this case the pressure on the salmon will be further reduced. In response to your question as to where the sea trout were caught, I believe they did reasonably well at Grantown association last season considering the reduction on rod numbers. By the way Happy birthday.

Old 02-16-2004, 07:56 AM

Graham. Thanks for your response, the wife gave me a pair if Simms waders for my birthday so I must be back in her good books (she doesn't know that I have a week on the Dee March 1-so it will be short lived !!)
Old 02-16-2004, 08:13 AM

Things are looking good for your week on the Dee, it has got off to a good start, as have a few other rivers in the north-east. Where on the Dee are you fishing?

Old 02-16-2004, 08:21 AM

The Spey Fishery Board's Annual Report has just been published. It will soon be published on the Board's website at www.speyfisheryboard.com
You will see a graph of the sea trout run over several decades looking pretty healthy.

Last edited by actinsley; 02-16-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:53 AM

Graham We are on little blackhall, same week as last year which resulted in 10 springers. feeling confident.......
Old 02-16-2004, 09:09 AM

The middle reaches of the river seem to be where the action is at present due to the mild temperatures. My brother had one off Cairnton, just above Little Blackhall on Saturday 7th.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:37 AM

Graham. Took a chance and told wife. Big hole in new waders!
Old 02-17-2004, 04:44 AM

spey board policy-fishing effort

to return to mickgbell's original point, i dont think he has had an answer. is there a definite so many hours only, day v night, from the board's policy? i know each estate may have different rules but what is the overall position? and are estates fishing in the time customers are foregoing? crawford little in 'success with salmon' page36, 1st paragraph says 'certainly if i had access to a spey beat in the main summer months, i would be strongly tempted to fish the last hours of daylight for salmon and grilse, then take my sea trout rod until the first light of dawn returned the colour to the monochrome river, when i would switch my attentions back to salmon and grilse. do people realise why their ghillies are bleary eyed when their guests arrive on the beat at 10 o'clock, or do they simply put it down to drink?' hugh falkus in his great book 'salmon fishing' page 81 3rd para from bottom says [ not about any particular river ] 'it is not by chance that, according to the terms of the lease, the ghillies themselves so often fish in the evening for their estates'.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by actinsley
Speaking as a member of the Spey Fishery Board & Chairman of its Research Trust,
We consider catch & release at 70% was a great success last year and as a result are continuing the same policy unchanged for 2004 rather than tinker with it.this recommendation re reduced fishing effort is an acknowledgement that some beats choose to exercise restraint in this way. It is not meant to be precise. Some for example do not fish at all until April. Others have reduced the no of rods or the no of hours fished.
I thought that the section I have copied from Mr Tinsley's post is clear enough. But to make things clearer.

Restraint can be carried out in a number of ways.

Starting the season earlier

Stopping the season earlier.

Reducing the number of fishers

Reducing the numbers of hours fished.

To give a few examples.

Gillies will only fish if they have the express permission of the people that let the beats and they are aware this is eating into their fishing time.
Both books you mention were written long before the Spey board asked for restraint.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 03-10-2004, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mickgbell
Graham. Thanks for your response, the wife gave me a pair if Simms waders for my birthday so I must be back in her good books (she doesn't know that I have a week on the Dee March 1-so it will be short lived !!)
Mick,
Any luck with your week on the Dee?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.