Kayak for a BIG person - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 09:06 PM

Kayak for a BIG person

I am considering a Kayak that will be used by myself and my son. My miniscule 235lbs is not to bad for a kayak but my son is 6'8" and 325lbs.What kayak would have enough flatation for someone that size? I would like some help and the ability to rent one or a demo day would help a lot.
thanks,
++++
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You might consider a pontoon boat made by Dave Scadden called the Bimini twist - it's very stable with two 10ft or so pontoons and a frame that allows standing and poling. Another option is tri-balance which some of the members including striblue has. The latter has an outrigger system for added stability. I don't have personal experience with these but have liked the concept and hope to try them myself soon.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:11 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Godzilla meets WildernessSysytem...Supersized...

I paddled a Kiwi Stealth (twin pontoons) and it confirmed my suspicions...the more mass/the more weight/the more sluggish!
I was able to stand and cast but the effort required to get the beast moving/keep it moving and the inability to maneuver greatly outweighed the benefits of added stability. A honkin' monster!
I'm comparing the dual hull experience with Pungo/Mantio/Sitka/& sitontops.
There are several dealers/sponsors near the Cape that have Spring paddle days...that's your best bet to get some handz on and suggestions from folks who can point you in the right direction.
The TriBalance may be a good compromise...sure the pontoons add drag but they are a reasonable trade off for stability and could be a good place to start building your preferences...
Tandom mono-hull models will give you the floatation but, then again, more mass and more energy required to get it going/keep it going. Stable...sure.
You NEED to test paddle BEFORE you take the deep blue plunge...

And...DON'T SKIMP ON THE PADDLE!!! It will be your friend or foe!
TRUST ME!

Last edited by Penguin; 10-22-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:39 AM
Recent Member

OK AMBUSH!

take a look at the Ocean Kayak AMBUSH model, I just picked one up and yes it's a little slower than a smaller yak but the stability more than makes up for it...oh ya it has a weight cap. of 800lbs.....
Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 PM

I assume that you would prefer a sit-on-top (SOT), since they seem to be easier for fishing. Kayaks that are probably large enough for your son include Cobra's Fish 'n Dive, Navigator, and Tourer; Emotion's Fisherman (probably marginal); Malibu's Extreme and Tandem, and maybe Pro Explorer; Ocean Kayak's Prowler and Drifter; Wilderness Systems' Tarpon 16 (probably marginal) and Ride. There are others, but I can't remember them right now.

The Ambush would certainly work, but note that it weighs apx. 100 lbs without accessories, which may be a factor depending on where & how you plan to launch. I have no personal experience with the Tribalance but the "common wisdom" among a lot of kayak fishermen is that it's not a good idea to use it in anything other than reasonably calm water. Then again, there is an Orvis shop on the Cape that rents them for saltwater use, so who knows.

There are several good kayaking web sites on the Internet that either concentrate on, or have strong fishing interest groups. I'm not supposed to post urls here, but if you google on

kayak fishing recommendations

The first page of results will include at least two of these sites, including one that is owned by a couple of guys who run a kayak fishing retail operation in the NY/NJ area.

Good luck !

Last edited by Greg Pavlov; 01-31-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:50 PM

Re: Godzilla meets WildernessSysytem...Supersized...

Quote:
Originally posted by Penguin
You NEED to test paddle BEFORE you take the deep blue plunge...
And...DON'T SKIMP ON THE PADDLE!!! It will be your friend or foe!
TRUST ME!]
Two key points !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.