Hey! From SW Virginia, New river.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Member Profiles Introduce yourself!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Recent Member

Hey! From SW Virginia, New river....

Hey yall, good to be here! I like what I see here and plan to stay for a while!!
A little about me...
I live in Christiansburg, VA, near the campus of Virginia Tech and am about 5 miles from the New river, my curent home river. I have been fishing the New on and off for 11 years now. I mainly fish for smallmouth right now although my roots have saltwater soaked in them! I was raised on the Chesapeake Bay and come from a long heritage of watermen and civil servants. My love fpr fishing began at the age of 2, 26 years ago. I began flyfishing 18 years ago and been tying almost as long. Building rods for 10 years. I started off tournament fishing on the coast of NC and fished all around the south and then began to guide and loved that more. I guided in coastal NC for several years before I had the opportunity to guide out west. I went to Colorado for a few years, starting at an outfitters that catered to elk, deer, and lion hunting and hired me as the main trout guide. After that place I went to the Aspen valley to teach casting and guide full time and rowed a drift boat down the Colorado and Roaring Fork river and took wade trips to the Frying Pan and high mountain streams/lakes. I tied for a few shops before burning out but still tie for myself and friends. I still make rods but again only for me and a select few.
While working at a trout hatchery during the off-season, I broke my dominant wrist and have been messed up ever since. During one of several surgeries, I sustained nerve damage and a condition called RSD set in, basically a malfunction of the nevous system in my right extremity to put it simple. I can only fish when my hand lets me and do fish left handed but get frustrated as I am extremely right handed and in less than ideal conditions, shoot off target. So I fish with spinning and baitcasting rods for the most part.
That doesn't deter me from coming up with new fly patterns though. I still have a love for flyfishing and really, everything to do with the water and the fish that swim in it.
I have fished at least once in each of the lower 48 states with some states very extensively. I have been to Canada, Europe, and Central America to fish. I have a set goal to catch all the bass species and when I get the Neosho Smallmouth I will be finished. My favorite freshwater fish is the Redeye Bass of the small area in the southeastern mountains. I guess my favorite saltwater fish would be a three way tie between Tarpon, Red Drum, and False Albies.
My favorite rod is my self-built Scott 904, 9' 4wt. I also have a custom 5' 0wt. My streamer-slinger is my Fenwick HMG 6wt. My first flyrod is a Fenglass 5wt which I have had for years.

I fish out of a canoe mostly, an Old Towne 160K Discovery Rowing Version. I don't row it of course, that's what drift boats are for. I got the boat because of it's stability and ability to hold all my gear and still have a shallow draft and runs rapids very well. Lots of room for a friend and oh-so comfortable. I have redone the seats and added lots of accessories like anchor pulleys, a fishfinder, a solar charger and a livewell for certifying trophy fish for a live release. Because of my hand, I use a Minn Kota Endura 46lb trolling motor that has made life good. Paddling takes my energy in my hand quick and leaves nothing to fish. Now I can fish all day, when I'm feeling better than worse.
I have a Prijion Hurricane C-1 that I play in from time to time and have two bigger boats, a 1955 mahoganhny runabout made in Salem, VA with a 16' 1958 Mercury Mark 75 6cyl. that I will show when finished. I also fish out of my Traviscraft (no name on title) 17ft fiberglass center console that I totally stripped and is in the final stages of finishing. It has a big flaired bow with huge front casting/fighting deck and behind, a spacious interior with double bait/live wells and a custon polling platform that will make it an ideal, but modest, inshore tarponer.
A few of my big fish include:

Blacktip Reff shark: 10', Fl. Keys
Tarpon: 126lbs, 6', Pamlico Sound NC
Red Drum: 56lbs Pamlico Sound NC
False Albecore: 14lbs on 9wt, coastal NC

Largemouth: 13lb 5oz, NC
Smallmouth: 8lbs, VA
Redeye bass: 2.5lbs, AL
Cutthroat: 35", CO
Rainbow: 9lbs, CO
Brown: 29", VA
Striper: 37lbs, NC

I look forward to interacting with this site, it seems great! I'm crossing over from riversmallies.com where I have been quite involved with articles and frequent posting. I'm looking to expand my forums as I love more fish than just smallies which even citaitions (20") can be bait for some of the fish I go after. Nothing beats running down the surf, chasing after a bull drum, or a spooling tarpon, or the Gulf Stream tunas that test the limits of fishing equipment. I love it all!
Diving is also a passion as I observe all my quarry and have been watching the smallies in one of the world's oldest rivers and have learned alot underwater.
Feel free to contact me at: travbass2@hotmail.com
and talk fishing!!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Welcome Travbass -

That's quite a resume!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Recent Member

Thanks! The more time passes, the more I get to fish and add to my list.....headed to TN to see some family and do a little TN smallie & trout fishin'. Have some secret small flows with reproducing rainbows in middle Tn of all places!! Lots of fun. See yall when I get back!
Travis
Old 10-17-2003, 01:30 PM

greetings,,maybe time for a light two hander?,,,what did you whip that shark with??,that would def.be a riot!!!

Last edited by Hammer; 10-17-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Recent Member

Actually, I landed that shark on a Penn Slammer with a GTi. I wish i caught a 10' shark on a fly! I have landed all three atlantic marlin on a fly though. That was okay but I prefer inshore fishing and not the big desiel boats that back-up to the fish. That's no fun. I love trying to stop a tarpon or a bull red drum and smallmouth fishing is quite nice too. I'm mostly smallmouth fishing right now but am headed down to coastal NC for some false albecore fishing soon! That will be great as usual! Can't wait!!
Old 10-22-2003, 07:54 AM
President of CAC

Welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.