Beach Fishing Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 04:19 PM

Beach Fishing Report

I've been fishing a couple beaches early in the morning these past couple weeks Lincoln and Golden Gardens. The flyfishing has been slow with brief moments of action and the gearboys aren't faring much better either.

It seems that the coho are traveling in small pods of three or four because, when the action comes, only one person will hook up (my advice if someone near you hooks up, start casting like crazy, don't stand and look). Typically, for the morning bite, one or two fish will be beached by the gearfishers and I have not heard any conversation from anyone, including the subsurface flyfishers, about hits or lost fish. Now, here's the best part. There has been at least two and sometimes more of us throwing surface poppers. With so few fish moving through, we popperboys have at least been able to attract them to the surface to either follow, lunge and strike, turn away at the beach, get hooked only to come unbuttoned or lost due to angler error.

At least we're getting some action but it would be nice to see a school be less transient and stick around and play with us for a little while.

Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Leland,

It's amazing the power of attraction that the beach popper has on fish, even transients.

I thought I had the tactical progression from daybreak to breakfast at Sekiu down pat after all these years but due to recent eye-opening observations, I've added a first quarter strategy to the arsenal and will bring a floating line from now on to complement the intermediate and high density lines that take center stage mid-morning to breakfast time.

Now that I am armed with the grains to throw them, I am going to experiment with humongous beach poppers on transient stripers during the migration, just getting underway out here.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:13 PM

I wished I had an underwater view of a coho slash past a silver spoon and then a chartrtreuse clouser only to boil on a popper waking the surface!

Leland.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Recent Member

can't tell you how much fun I've had with the popper this summer. I also had the same experience with small pods of fish, and had followers when the bait/gear guy next to me landed fish. There were some bruiser ocean fish at PnP last weekend - all in heavy shouldered 7-10# class. I would expect those down in Seattle this week.

I did try a tube crease fly in a herring coloration/shape. The casting was very difficult for me from shore - kinda like tossing a leaf on the end of your line. After 30 minutes of 30 foot casts I gave it up.

Jim W
Old 09-29-2003, 05:49 PM
LBFF Mojo

Maybe you should start fishing a trailer fly to pick up those slashing fish. Or have a guy trail your popper with a darkside pattern

-sean
Old 09-29-2003, 05:59 PM

Interesting that you should mention trailer fly. One of the Golden Gardens habitues, Jim Kulik, fishes a trailer after his purple and white popper. He uses a smallish shrimpy krill-like pattern about 18' back and catches the majority of his fish on it.

Leland.

PS, I turned a Snoqualmie steelhead while rinsing my waders off this morning.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:10 PM
LBFF Mojo

That is a PS I like to hear. I assume another one fell for the creeper.

Well the wife and baby leave for 2 weeks starting Wednesday and after I get back from Kelley creek next Monday I am going to be hitting the river a ton before work. I gotta get me one last steelhead from the sno before winter.

Never thought golden gardens was much of a coho show. Since I live 5 minutes down the road I guess I should be checking it out more often and quit complaining about the beaches being too far for me to hit before work...

-sean
Old 09-30-2003, 08:56 AM

Question

Maybe Leland or some of you who fish Silvers a lot can answer this. This year on the hood canal I have found what Leland mentions to be true. Only small pods of fish and rarely feeding near the surface. Here one moment and gone the next. Tons of bait around from an hour before light to an hour after sun comes up. In other years I could count on Coho feeding what seemed like hours and right up till it was time for them to enter the rivers.
This year what fish are here from what the gear guys say are sitting tight to the bottom and will only take jigs bounced of the bottom. The gear guys are not picking up fish trolling at all. This year they just don't seem to want to feed at all like in other years.
Could the drought have anything to do with it?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:42 PM

It's been very weird out there and, for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

Leland.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 PM
LBFF Mojo

Well we had a wierd year last year as well with the same type of low water conditions. There were a lot of coho but it was tough going on the beach scene. For as many fish as there were just not lot close to shore.

Only two years of data to go on but the theory of low water conditions affecting fish behavior seems plausible.

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.