Two happiest days Re. Boating... - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2003, 11:04 AM

Two happiest days Re. Boating...

The first is when you purchase your new boat the second is when you sell the boat after having used it for as long as you wanted.
I have just sold my 47' wooden trawler to a young fellow in Sitka Alaska. So now I wonder if I should change my name as I no longer am the proud owner of the vessel MOONLIGHT.
The affair lasted for 26 years and took several hundred thousand dollars to maintain and pay for during that time. The old adage that a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money is most true when the hole is made of wood.
Its a good thing I enjoyed having the Moonlight all those years because the market for old wood boats is incredibly poor I was able to get $30,000 for about ten cents on the dollar invested. While not overjoyed at the financial reality I am happy to report that the young couple who have purchased the boat are as happy as I was when I bought her. So I kept her safe for all those years and now I have found her a good home right in the Port she was built in back in 1918. l
Long sail the good ship Moonlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A splendid relationship, and fine fate indeed! I wouldn't mind seeing a picture if you have one.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:17 PM

Yes please share a pic.

Gregg
Old 07-23-2003, 12:38 PM

I'll do it!

I will be traveling to Sitka Friday to remove a few personal items and "Close the deal" I will take a few Digital Images at that time and post them on my return. Although the ones of the boat looking like a bird cage in the Boat Yard at Port Townsend are more interesting. Maybe I will have my computre person scan some of the old photo album stuff of the various rebuilding steps.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:01 PM
LT 20

Can't wait to see the Pic's

Looking forward to seeing the Boat.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:04 PM

Oh well...

Craig Hawkeye and Juro Sorry but the pictures I took somehow did not end up on my cameras memory card. This happened to me before, "pilot error" no doubt! I promise that I will someday soon go through the old photo albums and scan some of the rebuild photos and post them they are much more interesting to look at. Kind of dissappointed in that I wanted to show my wife a picture of the new owner. I will be back in Sitka mid month for a short fishing venture and if the boat and skipper are still around town I will try again.
I do have a beautiful watercolor by a young artist, Amy Zildoka which is framed in a shadow box with a hand tied Harry Lemire classic Dee Strip Salmon Fly "Moonlight" that Harry tied for me after a week long trip on the Moonlight around Sitka for Coho in the Salt back in the early 90's. The fly and the water color go together (as Forrest would say) "like peas and carrots".
So if you are ever in Port Angeles and want to see a real picture of the "Moonlight" my entry hall would be the best place . I really will try to get the old photo album scanned into the cyber world and send it along soon.
Headed to Neah Bay Sunday!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.