Spinning fly problem - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Flats Rat

Spinning fly problem

I've been fishing with a lot of surface patterns recently. Poppers, gurglers, boobies etc. Whatever I do design-wise I eventually end up with so much twist in the tippet it bunches up like a tangled spring. I never had this problem with larger poppers on saltwater flies. Slowing down the cast would probably help a bit but a tight loop is needed when your trying to punch the popper through a 2 foot "hole" in overhanging branches. Anyone else experience this - any other suggestions? Maybe certain leader materials are more susceptible than others? Or maybe they make a swivel small and light enough to not adversely affect delivery & presentation?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Fly chucker

What knot are you using to attach the fly? I almost never have twist problems with the flies that you're describing when I use a non-slip mono loop. I tie the loop a bit longer that usual to give the fly more play in the air.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Flats Rat

Come to think of it

Thanks Mark! I'll try that next time out.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:14 PM

The other question is what test tippet are you using?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Flats Rat

John

I've been using 2x/10lb both Orvis Super strong and Frog Hair. I'm sure the lighter test lines are more susceptible.

I was checking out Jack Gartsides web site last night and he mentions rounding of the corners on gurglers to reduce their tendency to spin.

I'm thinking the easiest bet is to have a set of ready-to go tippets (I use a loop-to-loop to a regular tapered leader) and then check/change as needed.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Fluff

Not that I know very much about fishing -

(More about opening flood gates for assault on persona )

Adrain, as well as a loop knot, stiffer or harder leader material; less tendency to twist. My $.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.