Shallow Water Boats - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2003, 03:03 PM

Shallow Water Boats

My partner and I are looking for a shallow water boat. We want to avoid a jet, if a tunnel hull, such as used by the Florida flats skiffs, will do [almost] as well.

The experts on this board can help me by describing the approximate dimension of tunnels on hulls they are familiar with.

For example, a boat made in Oregon offers a tunnel 8" high by 18" wide. Since a typical prop is 12-13 inches in diameter [not including skeg], 8" does not seem adequate. A friend in Texas told me his Kenner's tunnel was 4" high. Seems too little to me.

What tunnel dimensions are used by Hewes and Hells Bay Boatworks in Florida area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2003, 06:27 AM
NC Fly Guy

Pathfinder

Look at the 17 foot Pathfinder tunnel skiff.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:49 PM

Thank you, Captain Gordon

Where do I find the Pathfinder informatiion? Google was no help.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bob -

Pathfinder is one of the Maverick Family of boats, with Hewes and Maverick Boats. That should be easy to find!

Sweet ride, I am dreaming of one of these three boats for my own shallow water machine someday...

But I get the impression you are looking for tunnel dimensions from ocean flats boats to apply to qualifying logic for river sleds?
Old 07-12-2003, 10:14 AM

Juro

You are right. There is not a wealth of knowledge on the west coast about tunnel hulls, that I am able to find.

The east and gulf coasts appear to have the majority of experienced shallow water [and other] boat manufacturers.

All the shallow water rigs I have seen in CA, OR, B.C. are jets, and my thinking is that with tunnels a boater may experience the mechanical efficiency of a propeller, with [nearly] the shallow water capability of jets.

Yesterday I found a manufacturer that makes tunnel hull boats for jets. I guess that is the ultimate in shallow water capability.

Thank you for the Hewes/Maverick tip.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.