Colorado River - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2003, 11:21 AM

Colorado River

The Colorado river is hot. We made it over the divide and onto the river by 8:00. Got into a beautiful spot lined with cottonwoods on one side and a steep mountain slope on the other. We saw a minx working the opposite shore and thought if it is good enough for her it will work for us. There was nothing hatching that early so I began with a prince nymph and a BHPT. I landed about a dozen fish before lunch on all sorts of flies including a BH buckskin, flashback RS-2 and PMD emergers. My buddy found some risers and did well with a PMD cripple but I could only manage a couple up top on a small elk hair caddis. We roamed after lunch checking out rumored secret spots without much success. In the evening we happened upon a Secret BLM section and things got stupid. I took a few on the buckskin. The fish liked it best on the swing instead of dead drifted. Softhackles shoud have worked since it was caddis water but they met with only marginal success. I tied on a serendipity that had been sitting unused for quite a while. I tied these years ago and never really had much luck with them. First cast unweighted just under the surface and wham. Fish on. For the next 3 hours we hammered the fish on Size 16 serendipitys on the swing. The fish are not huge, the largest measured right at 16", but they fight like champs. My buddy was not prepared for the viscious strikes and lost at least 5 rigs until he switched to 6 pound fluorocarbon. A good start turned into another epic day in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2003, 09:40 AM

I love that stream. Were you catching mostly browns? I wonder if the rainbows are coming back at all. When I fished there 5-6 years ago, there were very few rainbows due to WD. I always used the buckskin up there, too.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:42 PM

The area around middle park is really pretty. We had a great sunset that night and the stars coming over trail ridge road were as clear as a bell. I landed two and lost one rainbow. All of the rest of the fish were browns. The river is not even close to having the # of rainbows that it once had. At least the browns are doing well. The river that shocks me is the Maidson. I fished there about 12 years ago before WD and caught fish behind every rock. It was amazing back then. Now, two of us fished hard all day and only landed one bow between us. We did not find a population of browns in the river either like the Colorado has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.