Tubular Beach Popper? - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Ocean Salmon Flies Saltchuck silvers and tyee patterns

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2003, 07:08 PM

Tubular Beach Popper?

Here's a question for you, Leland-- You mentioned a while back that some folks have tried your beach popper tied on a tube. I'm getting ready to try just that-- is there a reason not to do so? It seems like it would be a quicker way to get around the snelling process plus you wouldn't be wasting a hook-- I'm going to tie some up tonight or tomorrow for a Saturday trip for SRC and thought I would check with the master first....

thanks for the advice--

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 08:57 PM

I've made a significant advancement since my first poppers.

Here it is:

The hook is now a Gamakatsu #4 Octopus. I take a length of doubled over #25 Maxima and pinch the ends together to flatten them enough to shove them down the shank and through the hook eye. I now have a "loop to loop" connection with my hook. I also have the doubled strength of the Maxima as well as the stiffness I have always desired (to keep the hook from sometimes curling over and fouling with the popper head). And you can change hooks if neccessary. Not only that, the Gamakatsu hook is really "sticky sharp," (just ask my left thumb after I straighten my materials)!

I have also substituted Icelandic Sheep for my white and olive hair but that's not nearly as important as the hook.

Tubes? If you can tie 'em, do it!

Hope this helps,
Leland.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:09 PM

Leland-- Thanks for the advice-- but now I have a follow-up question. The pix at the Puget Sound flyfishing site show a fairly full wing on your popper, but earlier photos show a pretty sparse wing. Do you fish your poppers with a wing that full or was that done more for illustration?

I was going to tie some MBP on tubes before my latest outing, but I got sidetracked (used a gurgler for SRCs instead) and as a result just got back to the table-- as I was assembling pieces and parts for the poppers, I started thinking about the variations of your popper I've seen, and thus the question. I hope to get out Friday and give the popper tube a try.

I noticed that on one of the boards you mentioned that the Edgewater Dinks were getting hard to find. Rainy's makes a bass popper head that could be a dead ringer for the Dink. They should be easier to get.

Keith
Old 06-25-2003, 08:56 PM

Keith,

The fullness of the white either polar bear or arctic runner or icelandic sheep depends on the fur itself and underfur. Generally, I like a slim profile, kinda like a fat candlefish (sandlance) or a skinny smelt.

FYI, I just back from landing two dollies of approx. ten pounds each on a very slim and chewed up popper.

Also, the flyshop I work part-time at has just received 300 #6 and 300 #4 dink components. We will package them in packs of six and also put together popper kits with hooks, materials heads and instructions.

Good luck,
Leland.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:56 AM

availability of kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Miyawaki
Keith,

Also, the flyshop I work part-time at has just received 300 #6 and 300 #4 dink components. We will package them in packs of six and also put together popper kits with hooks, materials heads and instructions.

Good luck,
Leland.
Leland.
Reading this thread from 2003 on tying the infamous Miyawaki popper and was wondering if you still are working at a flyshop were popper kits are available. I have not tied a fly in 15 years, and then only pretty basic trout stuff. I really enjoyed tying, but my tying desk area and fishing lost out to a nursery and raising my kids. All the kids are teenagers now, and all fly fish. Getting into salt water fishing a few years ago made me realize that most of the flies I really want to get my hands on are not available commercially, and I need to DIY. Looking forward to getting back into it. Any suggestions on best locations for material and advice?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:08 PM

I've just begun working at Kaufmanns in Bellevue and will be there today and tomorrow.

Leland.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:22 PM

Leland-=- Tried tying some poppers on tubes and then your new method with the mono loop. Like the latter a whole lot better. The ease of tying is not that much different from the tube, but it makes an intrinsically simpler fly-- everything is in one package and ready to fish. I won't have to fumble around in my boxes looking for the tube hooks that have spilled.

I did have some trouble getting the mono loop through the eye of the hook. Perhaps it was because I didn't have any 25 pound Maxima. I first used 30 Trilene XT which was impossible. Next I tried 20 Berkley Iron Silk-- a new line-- and it was still too large to fit through the eye of a #4 Gamakatsu Octopus when doubled. I ended up using the latter with one of Mustad's new tube hooks. The only problem with this rig is that the hook cocks a bit since it has a ringed eye.

I'm thinking I'll drop to 15 pound test on the next tying.

Thanks for the advice you've given. Hope to see you at the coho clave.

Keith
Old 07-07-2003, 12:30 PM

Keith,

I've noticed that sometimes, when I cut a length of 25lb Maxima, the ends get a "knob" on the end and won't fit through the Gamakatsu #4 eye. Try flattening the ends with a pier of pliers before cramming them through the eye. The bigger and stiffer the mono, the better it will keep the hook from curling over and hooking onto the foam head and, most importantly, it is not easily pushed out of the way by surging bow wakes.

Leland.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

"surging bow wakes".... "coho clave".... I am getting psyched!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 02:11 PM

Duh! I see what I was doing incorrectly. I formed and tied the loop to the lead hook and then tried to push the doubled end through the hook eye after the popper was tied. Putting the ends through first would be easier no doubt. Replacing the hook, though, will take some doing.

Now I'm regretting leaving for a trade show in the morning. I could be fishing instead... I wonder if my boss would mind me not showing up... thank heavens the show is shorter this year, and I return Friday afternoon.

Surging bow wakes are cool, but I really like having a pod of three or four fish competing for my fly or in this case, popper. That can be a real double-shot espresso experience.

Now if I can stay focused and get my work done in advance, I can have September off. Guess I better get back at it.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 07-07-2003, 02:39 PM

Here's another exciting scenario. To see big dollies ripping at bait in a fast moving tide and casting a popper about ten feet away from the boil, then stripping like mad and having one turn and, with a surging bow wake, slash twice at your popper before eating it.

Enjoy your trade show,
Leland.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:49 PM
Recent Member

So I read through this thread and sure hope someone will give me a link to some pix of these poppers and dinks.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 AM

I'm having a hard time finding the popper tying pics and recipe on the forum tonight. But you can go to: http://www.pugetsoundflyfishing.com/Home.htm

Hope this helps,
Leland.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Salmo Scout

Pics

Good pics of bait fish for fly ideas !
Old 11-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Thumbs up

Great Site! Allot of good patterns!

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.