rod blank sources - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Recent Member

rod blank sources

I have always wanted to make my own rod. Made a Herter's spinning rod kit about 35 years ago. Now a graphite fly rod is on my want to do someday list.

If you go to the manufacturers websites it seems a good blank is still pretty expensive. What are some of the sources that sell the blanks at a discount? Also other parts like seats and grips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Pullin' Thread

Daveg,

Do an internet search for rod building supplies. This will provide you with web pages of many, many rod building supply companies. Then look at their "house brand" blanks (the ones with their name on them) to find the best buys. Look at IM6 blanks for the best value and lowest price. And use a section of 1 5/8 inch PVC for a very strong and durable rod case instead of the aluminum ones to save a few more dollars.

Doing the above will allow you to find what you are looking for.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Recent Member

where to buy blanks

There are a few of the suppliers I use:

Cabelas.com
Jannsnetcraft.com
Feather-crafter.com
anglersworkshop.com
Hookhack.com

I just finished a Winston rod and the blank it self was $273.00 +$140 for reel seat/guides+$50 for the case and rod bag. Of course this was for a Doctor, beautiful rod. I tied a green Thunderbird pattern above the handle.

For the money, I feel a St Croix or Gary Loomis are great blanks. But if you have the money go for it!!

Hope this helps!!

Teebird8023

Gary
Old 07-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Recent Member

I found a rod blank

I found a reasonably priced blank and component kit for a 9 ft 5 wt 2 piece rod. I didn't want to spend too much money in case it turned out to be a disaster. Not too bad so far. I got the reel seat , handle and tip top mounted. Going to start winding the line guides on next. I built a home made rod winding bench complete with thread tensioner for about $12 or so and things laying around the house. It is a hybrid design similar to one sold by anglers workshop and the tensioner looks like the spring loaded one in the Garcia rod building book. I took some digital pictures of it and may post them with directions if there is interest, but probably after the rod is finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.