Saltwater flyfishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Recent Member

Saltwater flyfishing

Hi Anglers,
If you ever wanted to flyfish or bucktail for Chinook or Coho and go for a halibut in the same trip, this is the year to do it. All reports have this as the best season for size and numbers that anyone can remember. Chinook up to 70lbs. have already been taken. The coho returns for the majority of rivers are very healthy and in many areas flyfishers are expected better then last year results when anglers were taking between 20-45 fish a day, and up to 25 pounds. This is the year to be here. Good luck and keep your tip up.
Cheers, Neil

For more info on BC fishing e mail www.nellywould@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2003, 04:09 PM

Talking Oh you know how to hurt a guy!

I wonder if Joan wants to go to Alaska????
fae
Old 06-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Recent Member

Talking

I don't mean to hurt a guy except for his or her arms after a good day of fishin
Old 06-06-2003, 04:49 PM

That I can believe. Only place/time in my life I was

just too tired to reel in another fish was on the Kenai fly rodding the reds. Absolutly the most amazing fishing I've ever had in my life; cast .... swing ..... swing ..... rod jurked out of your hands!

fae
Old 06-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Chinook -

How well do you guys do with flies in the saltchuck for kings? The general concensus is that it's near impossible, although I've had some limited success with it.

What lines? Full uniform sink perhaps?

Just curious...
Old 06-10-2003, 03:58 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Thumbs up Juro

I had a bit of success fishing the salt for kings. I used an older heavier action glass fenwick 9' 10wt. I had a large saltwater martin reel. Was a nice reel actually. Was HUGE. I used a full fast sink flyline. Ran a baitfish pattern with alot of flash. Didn't do much in line of casting, and normally fished near inlets to rivers or harbors (fish traffic lanes). Just dropped it over the edge and let her go. Usually stripped back up. Never went out far and did it though. Also did the "downrigger" way as well. But that's a different story all together. But we would watch the run timings and go when our charter boat friends said the chinooks were coming in (out at westport). Currents were the trickiest part. Was always good when you could find a shallow spot near the inlet so you could work a fly better.

Wish I would've fished it more, but back then we were straight gear. I would try this setup when we'd shut down and mooch. But, never hit the salt anymore. Too much cleanup compared to where I fish now. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.