Back from the Keys - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2003, 12:48 PM

Back from the Keys

Got back yesterday from a few days in Florida. Had a great time and spent Saturday being poled around the flats by Ben Ionatta (a forum sponsor). We saw some huge tarpon but I failed to entice them to the fly. They're quite the sight when seen cruising over a bright sand bottom.
The weather was iffy down there all week with frequent thunderstorms and torrential rain, but luckily Saturday was sunny with justa light breeze. I caught one jack from the boat but saw an amazing and diverse amount of wildlife, including lemon-tip and black-tip sharks and the white wings of eagle rays as they broke the surface.
Most of my other fishing time was spent wading in the Bahia Honda State Park area. This is a beautiful location with clear sandy bottoms in the beach area. I saw just a few bones and some barracuda rocketing by and there were also a few larger, darker shapes lurking out in deeper water. I just caught a few smaller fish (I have no idea what they were) in this area, and nearly caught a nurse shark by accidentally stepping on it. I'm not sure which one of us got the bigger shock.
I have no hesitation in recommending Ben as a guide (he launches mainly out of the Key West area) and he can be found at bigfishonfly.com
Old 06-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Flats Rat

Vinny. nice report - thanks!

I keep telling myself that one day instead of turning left at Miami for the Bahamas I'll just keep travelling South

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.