If I had $500...what sw rod should I buy? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2000, 08:25 PM
Here fishy fishy

If I had $500...what sw rod should I buy?

Thinking about a new sw rod and would be interested in hearing/reading people's likes/dislikes. T&T? Sage? Loomis? How about Redington's new line? Scott? Any and all advice or opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2000, 08:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:If I had $500...what sw rod should I buy?

All depends on what your target fishery is... for SWFF I waited a long time to get there but picked up a Sage 9ft 9wt 3-pc travel RPLXi last year. It's the best casting SW rod I've ever owned. It's not a broomstick by any stretch, but it is certainly tuned into casting a 9wt fly line line nothing else I've tried.

A trout and steelhead / salmon rod would be different, as well as tarpon, etc.

What's the application?
Old 03-15-2000, 09:06 PM

Tod,

You have to go try them all. Then a few weeks later do it again.
Old 03-16-2000, 05:36 AM
Here fishy fishy

Thanks for the responses. Right after I posted I thought I should have been much more specific. I'd like an 8/9# for stripers, blues and (hopefully) some albies & bonito (i.e. a "northeast" sw rod). I'll fish almost entirely from shore, flats, etc. Right now I've a 9# LLBean Guide rod. For the money it's been an excellent all-around rod, but I've been itching to upgrade to another sw model.
Old 03-16-2000, 06:57 AM

Tod,

I would also recommend test driving a few before plunking down the cash. That said, here is my opinion.

If I was getting an 8wt then I would seriously think about a 3pc rod. You never know when you might want to expand your fishing by heading for some bonefish. Avoid traveling hassles and keep it with you while you fly. A 9wt 3pc would also be nice, but you'd probably be using it primarily in the northeast and compactness isn't as high of a concern.

For rods I'd check out the RPLXi, I have mentioned before that it was hard to wipe the smile off my face after test casting it. A buddy of mine has the St. Croix Legend Ultra 8wt and likes it very much. Another friend just built a 3pc that looks to be pretty sweet. The bonus is they can drop a new Redington reel and striper line for the cost of a SAGE 3pc. or a T&T Vector.

I loved the Diamondback Backwater and built one in a 3pc. 8wt. It is sweet, but perhaps a little stiff for some.

Good Luck,

Pete
Old 03-16-2000, 07:58 AM

Tod:

I cannot impress enough to go and cast all kinds of rods regardless of brand. Each rod has it's offerings and to some the rod may be a beautiful wand while others feel like you should be sweeping out the garage with it. I am a pretty devoted T and T guy, yet some of my friends do not like them, because of the way they cast. I would go to a reputable shop and ask for 4 or 5 rods to try regardless of brand. Even bring a note pad and make notes cause it can get confusing...and let's face it, they are not cheap ! Make sure it has a good warranty. Honestly, in my opinion there are not many bad rods out there. Just alot of good to excellent ones.....as a final thought, I would encourage you to lean towards a 9 wt. It gives you more options for the wind and if you do get some big fish or Albies, you can still play them and still get them in to be released safely.....

Good luck...
John
Old 03-16-2000, 08:28 AM

Don't leave the G. Loomis Nautikos rods off your list of ones to try. They are all 3-piecers and seem to me to be outstanding rods.
Old 03-16-2000, 12:54 PM

Hi Tod.
I been fishing a RPLXi 8wt 3 peice for 2 seasons now and I really like it a lot it's a cannon for sure. I went through 4 Orvis Tridents before I asked for my money back the reel seats were turning the reels would fall off and were very heavy but my favorite rod is a Orvis PM 10 4 peice 10wt. My advice would be to take your reel loaded with the line you are going to use and go out and test them all.
Good Luck John
Old 03-16-2000, 09:25 PM
Here fishy fishy

Thanks for the input & insights. Guess I've got to get going and do some testing...
Old 03-17-2000, 06:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tod - Let me know if you'd like to fish the RPLXi 990-3 (9wt 9ft 3pc). I'd be happy to have you try out mine to see if you like it.

Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.