Fly Fishing Forum banner

Key West Dec 17-23

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  FlyJunkie 
#1 ·
I am going to be in Key west from Dec 17th to 23rd. I was wondering if it can be fished on my own or do I need a guide. If a guide any suggestions on one.

#2 ·
Hi Nate -

Hope you are well.

The Keys can certainly be fished on ones own but of course you will get more shots with a guide. I would look up Ben Iannotta Jr on bigfishonfly in Summerland Key for starters.

I fished the keys four years in a row a while back. I got lucky DIY on big keys bones at Matecumbe and Bahia Honda State Park during these trips but most shots I spooked the fish and felt I was not covering the area well on my own compared to with a guide. I did however land an 8 # fish on my own.

Found mudding fish several occasions along the hiway where parking is available you could fish deep and blind for them in the muds.

My favorite DIY spot was Bahia Honda State Park. Do a search for more, we have posted on the keys on multiple occasions as I recall.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Good spots in the Lower Keys

Hi Juro,
do not forget the beach at Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada;
you can drive to the parking lot of the lodge and then walk down to the beach......start walking to your right once you hit the water and atay L O W! 'cause those big resident bones are smart!
I had luck with snooks as well blind casting MOEs around the pilings that you'll encounter walking down the beach.
Tides as always are the outmost importance, but if you're there early enough in the morning you can walk out to the first sand bar in front of the lodge and blind cast for bones in the tiny channell it creates...
I would also try Boca Chica (Atlantic side), especially the channell at rthe SW end of the Key and the flats on the Gulf Side of Big Pine Key (look for the white weather blimp).
I haven't been there in two years, hence take my suggestions with some reservations since the hurricanes this year were a mess.
Good luck,
Emilio

#4 ·
My wife and I were on Key West at Christmas time back in 1985 we hired a guide name of Jan Easley he was very professional and we had a wonderful time. It was much colder than the locals were used to but coming from Sitka Alaska we were both very happy with the weather.
However the fish were reacting to the cooler weather and the Bones were off the edge of the flats but the Barracuda saved the day those were a real hoot from demonic grab to blistering run. We encountered one Permit but it did not want to play.
While the catching was not spectacular we both will never forget the fishing! (great bird watching too).
There were hardly any tourist in Key West when we were there so that I gather was a real bonus as the locals were all real friendly and the better night spots were easily accesible.
Hope you as much fun as we did good luck.

#6 ·
tarponbum said:
Hi Juro,
do not forget the beach at Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada
Hey thanks man - thats the name of the lodge I have been trying to remember that name for years. Great spot, nice angler's lodge if you can get a room (was booked when I arrived) Good memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.