Fly Fishing Forum banner

Effective thread finishing technique for rod guides

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bellacoola 
#1 ·
I've been augmenting my rod building 'tutoring' from Smitty with L.A. Garcia's book "Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod" ($14 at the Marlboro Show from Angler's Art!). Found a tip in Garcia's book to be particularly effective: he uses a bobbin threader (BT) to finish his guide wraps (by pulling the tag end of the thread back under the preceding wraps).

I suspect I won't explain it well here, but you start by wrapping over your BT about 7-8 wraps from the end. When you've completed your wraps, cut a 7'8" tag end of thread. Maintain pressure on the wraps & thread the tag through the BT. While keeping constant pressure on the tag end, you then pull the BT back under the wraps.

Once the BT tip is under the wraps, you then apply equal pressure to the thread tag end and the BT. The thread eventually "ruptures" under the wraps and I've found it to leave a nearly seamless finish.

Hope this isn't entirely unintelligible. For those NE folks, suspect the book may be found at this weekend's show in Wilmington.

#3 ·
Here's how I complete (pull through) winding wraps. It seems so simple and obvious that I'm surprised that this little technique isn't universal: Just make several loops of light (say, 3X-6X, or 3-6 lb.) monofilament, or rod-winding thread.
Cut off a 6-7-inch length; tie the two ends together. You now have several little ovals. Tie an inch or so of bright yarn to them at the knot, so that you can easily find them on your bench. Make several, because they do eventually break at the apex.
Normally, six wraps over the mono loop seems to produce optimum tension. I usually cut off the thread close after pulling it through, but here's how to do it more neatly, hiding the thread end: Put the thread end into the mono loop and pull it against the end of the winding, tight enough to hold the thread for a moment. Then cut the loose thread end about 1/16" to 1/8" from the mono loop; pull the mono loop through.

#4 ·
Finishing Wraps

Different Strokes For Different Folks

You are all on a similar track with the loop under the final wraps but keep in mind that the larger Diameter looping material
will also take up additional space against the blank and will relax the final tension that you applied in those final wraps.

If you are applying an inlaid turn in contrasting colour or a thread trim ring you will find that the thin thread as in rod [loop]winding material will allow you to develop a tighter wrap. You then pull the tag ends at 90 D. to the blank which creates a tent over the wrap,, cut close to the tent,,, tent snaps shut and burries the tag ends

My .02 saltRon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.