Fly Fishing Forum banner

Acklins/Crooked flight times

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob Bergquist 
#1 ·
For anyone coming over to either island this spring...quite by accident I learned Bahamas Air had changed the Saturday flight to a 11am departure from Nassau, meaning the return leg would not reach Nassau until about 2PM or later, thus most folks would miss their US connections home. Working with their shedulers in Nassau I was able to get the times changed to 8.30 on Saturdays starting February 9. I don't know, and rather doubt if they have or will make notifications about the time changes. Just a heads up to be at the airport by 6.30 or so and that your return connection should all be OK.

Bob

#4 ·
Great job Bob--thanks! I called and complained a couple times, but they did not seem too concerned.

I did just receive notification via e-mail from bahamasair about the change back to the earlier original times. That's good news for the trip home.

#6 ·
Wednesday flights?

Interesting development.
Do you know if the Wednesday flights from NAS to Crooked and Acklins are also changing? We are scheduled for 2 April and 9 April. The info I have presently calls for 8:30 am departure from NAS, and the return departing Spring Point at 10:40 am.
I will be sure to check with Bahamas Air as the date draws nearer. I hope they don't mess up the connection for the trip home.
And we don't want to lose any fishing time on the first day there.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

#9 ·
Hello sidelock,
No, we are staying with the guide, Fedel, essentially in his house, to the east of Lovely Bay on the north end of Acklins. From there we fished near Crooked Is., around to the bight of Acklins, and some across quite open water. Very bouncy ride.
Accomodations were not plush but adequate, and Fedel did a very fine guiding job.
Going to give it another try this year.
Where is Feltons? I have seen that mentioned frequently but know nothing about the place.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

#10 ·
It's in Delectable Bay , south of where you are staying . I have not been there but I'm thinking about going down for a week of DIY and hiring a guide for a couple of days. I have send PM 's to a couple of people that had stayed there hoping to find out if there are enough flats to rotate for a week of DIY and avoid fishing where guides take their clients and also find out how the local people in that area feel about DIY fishermen but got no pesponse.

#12 ·
I agree with Acklinsboy. While I haven't personally stayed at Felton's place in the south (I stay up north in Chester's), I have not had a problem fishing DIY at all. The people on Acklins are very nice and welcoming, and the truth is that you will seldom see anyone while fishing. The guides generally fish areas that you cannot get to DIY--you need a boat.

Hiring a guide for a day or two is also good, as you'll get to see areas that you can't reach, plus they know the island inside and out.

GMflyfish--tell Fedel I say hello. He's a great guide and I'm sure you guys will have a great time. We're staying very close to Fedel's house. We're staying right on the huge interior flat you pass in Chester's on your way to lovely bay and Fedel's. We can see bones right from the porch!

#13 ·
Vince,
Fine, I will try to remember to tell Fedel hello from you. We walked right from Fedel's place and fished that flat behind the house a few times - with only modest success, but it was convenient.
I got over to Cattaraugas only for a couple days this fall and just caught a few nice steelies. I understand it was a very good year, until the water came up with a vengance.
I hope our air connections work out to Nassau/Acklins; last year was fairly smooth.
When are you going to be there this season?
Thanks. GMflyfish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.