Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike outing, 4/14

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
Adrian, Roop, and myself got together on Sunday to try out some pike fishing in Salmon River cove, just upstream of where the Salmon enters the Connecticut. It was a beautiful day and we found some great backwaters and structure to fish, but the action was slow.

Adrian was the stud of the day when he caught a nice pike from his new Tarpon kayak. It was a nice, healthy fish. This was the only fish landed, but we had a few other hits and one fish got off. Then there were those suicidal perch.....:p

Thanks to Adrian and Jeff for coming out and making it a fun day. I can't remember the last time I had such a good time without actually catching anything. Jeff, thanks for the use of your small boat (I'm tired of calling it a dinghy), and like you said, it's all downhill from here. ;)

#2 ·
Yes, it was a great day to be on the water in good company. This is an amazing fishery. Currently there are Pike, Largemouth Bass, Shad, Stripers and who knows what else all active in the same body of water.

How about one of each on the same day?

Now that would be a grand slam;)

#3 ·
Great time, beautiful area, next time we'll invite the fish.

Was there a significant change in the barometric pressure? The only other thing I can think of is that the bass tournament that started before we headed out might have chewed up the water pretty good.

Great to see you guys.

Roop

#4 · (Edited)
You know, I hadn't even thought about how the bass tournament might have affected the pike fishing. I checked out the stats on the tourney, and there were 16 boats that started at 8:00 am, 4 to 4.5 hours ahead of our start time. The bass are moving into areas where the pike already are (or should be :p ) and I know that we saw at least half a dozen boats coming from areas that we were heading to, including that first slough.

As for barometric pressure, we had rain on Saturday night after three very sunny days, followed by another beautiful day on Sunday. I'd like to think that the weather had little to do with the pike activity.

There's always next time, fellas.......:)

#5 · (Edited)
Adrian said:
Yes, it was a great day to be on the water in good company. This is an amazing fishery. Currently there are Pike, Largemouth Bass, Shad, Stripers and who knows what else all active in the same body of water.

How about one of each on the same day?

Now that would be a grand slam;)
I've had a couple good multi-species days (largemouth bass, rock bass, yellow perch, bluegill, pumpkinseed, chain pickerel & crappie) and it got me wondering what would be considered a "slam" or "grand slam" in freshwater. Seems like a grand slam would have to include at least one type of trout. Then again, most trout are stocked so maybe that isn't so important? Is there a standard "definition" for freshwater slams and grand slams like there is with saltwater?

Q

p.s., on one occasion all types of fish were caught on the same olive wooly bugger!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.