Fly Fishing Forum banner

2005 Season opens in Scotland

7K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
The 2005 salmon season has opened in Scotland. Not all rivers open on the same day, today the 11th Jan the Helmsdale and the Thurso have started. Today’s forecast is poor with gales and driving rain but I know the Helmsdale will be busy, Every year the estates allow free fishing on the opening two days.
I am giving today a miss and saving myself for Saturday when the Ness system opens, along with the Tay. Next month I have organised fishing on the opening day of the Dee (1st Feb) and the Spey (11th Feb). I hope to get up to date reports.

#28 ·
first off Moriston

The first fish was taken off the river Moriston on monday. It was estimated to be 10lb and was tide fresh.

Credit must go to Gordon Kerr as he is the first person on record to release an opening fish off the Moriston.

Gordon

#30 ·
Hi Andy,

If you'll be coming in Mid-Summer <> July/August you will find the best fishing to be on our Rivers for Summer run Steelhead on the North Umpqua, Rogue, and a few smaller rivers best left un-said...};^)...!!!

The North Umpqua will produce the occasional 20 pound Summer fish, but most from 9 to 12 pounds....With these in good numbers.

The Rogue's fish will be a tad smaller <> 5 to 11 pounds, with most in the 6 to 8 pound range. Fish to the beach numbers on the Rogue can be very good, ofgten exceeding 10 fish days.

Smaller two handers are the ticket, with 11.5' to 13' in 6/7/8 wts working spot on.

All manner of line systems and various techniques will work, most determined by water temp, flows, and clarity.

I perfer a dry line/greaseline swing with sparce patterns and heavy iron....Or fine wire and thin water swinging: Silver Hiltons, Skunks, and especially long shank Soft Hackles.

.....No doubt the sink tip or weighted fly boys will get more fish though !!!!

As far as our lakes go in Mid-Summer ?

The high country lakes would be the best bet.....But better yet, and far more exciting would be the waters of the Klamath Basin just over the hill from the Rogue Valley.

This is High Desert country ~ Spring Creek fed lakes and streams with extremely fertile waters.

Actually quite tricky to fish correctly, but we can put you in the right boat no worries.

I'll mail you a few pics of this country if you wish.

Meiz

#31 ·
Malcolm,

Just a note to let you know that I did receive the Willie Gunn's in the post today.

...And the Glen Deveron....Thanks much for that .....};^)....!!!!

Also have the first generation 18 footer 11/12 blank in hand today as well.....Your postal boys will have a bugger of a time trying to stuff her in your mail box !

....She actually turned out to be a 5 pc rod, and it will take a few weeks to field test her for a bit to see if she will comfortably aerialize full grainage.

I am only a moderate long belly caster, so we'll send it North up to Aaron Reimer's crew for evaluation.

Meiz

#35 ·
Meiz,
Make sure that you know exactly where all these people live and take their passports before you let that rod out of your sight. Could you make them all wear gloves so they do not leave dirty sweaty finger marks on the cork.

Flytyer, You may try but please take care, this salmon rod is needed in Scotland.

#36 ·
No worries Malcolm,

This is generation "one" of the 18' so it will really need to be beat-up a bit, and the boys at Aaron's <> Kevin, Brian, Russ, and Mike are just the ones to do it.

There is no way I could design this rod without their feedback and critique.

It will be a trial and error process...My guess is she will take 2 or 3 taper attempts.

In her early development, I'd rather have her stall or blow in their hands then in yours on the Spey my friend.

The Willie Gunns will get wet on the Lower Smith with the next good freshet.....Hopefully for catching as well as swimming.....};^)...!!!

Meiz

#38 ·
Hey Russ,

I've blown lots of rods in their early stages....Thats why I send them up to you guys AFTER I'm done.

But I'll send goggles too....};^)....!!!!

....In all honesty, from the wiggle.... I'd say that the early 18 may need to be toned down a bit to meet the window.

I know of no one that demands to chase a more agressive mouse....So have at her !!!

I think it's been 5 years?

Meiz

#40 ·
Meiz,

I wasn't going to mention how many years I've been chasing you for the big stick. I'm just delighted that it is happening.

Me chasing an agressive mouse? Nah, I just want to cast 1300 gr long bellies out to and beyond 100' on the Skagit on the larger, wider runs and tailouts with a long rod that won't wimp out. So if you think this one may need to be toned down a bit, so much the better because that way I won't have to worry about it blowing up from being pushed too far. :D

If I blow the big stick up, Malcolm will be putting a contract out for me with some big, hairy dude named Guido with Sicilian connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.