Fly Fishing Forum banner

Acklins trips this winter

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
I think this is a most important winter to be helping our friends in Acklins after the hurricane damage. Catching bonefish is a tough job but someone has to do it! :)

Please reply if you are interested and we will put together trips at the PHENOMENAL discounted rate Felton is offering this winter.

#3 ·
I plan to head down Dec 3-10 already. About got it set up. Juro, if you get something else set up for later in the winter I may be interested in joining that group also.
Felton is offering a nice rate right now. If anyone is interested in meeting up in Nassau on Dec 3 let me know. We can share expenses overnight.

#4 ·
Hey folks. Any experience with the fishing and weather on Acklins in December? How are the winds?

I've been emailing with Felton about heading down around Dec 19-26. The tides at Datum Bay show a low tide around 8am on the 19th. Sound like good timing?

This will my third bonefishing trip. I spent 9 days on Andros in March of this year and had a blast. Appreciate any advice or info. If you're considering a trip around this time, I'd be interested in the details.

#7 ·
ericnotthered said:
Hey folks. Any experience with the fishing and weather on Acklins in December? How are the winds?

I've been emailing with Felton about heading down around Dec 19-26. The tides at Datum Bay show a low tide around 8am on the 19th. Sound like good timing?

This will my third bonefishing trip. I spent 9 days on Andros in March of this year and had a blast. Appreciate any advice or info. If you're considering a trip around this time, I'd be interested in the details.
I haven't fished in December yet but I have been there for a Thanksgiving dinner of lobster and turkey. I have had very good luck with the weather in Oct and Nov and unless a cold front comes through December should be ok also. The 2 months I stay away from are Jan and Feb. The closer you get to them the more chance of hitting a cold front.

#8 ·
Swalt said:
I haven't fished in December yet but I have been there for a Thanksgiving dinner of lobster and turkey. I have had very good luck with the weather in Oct and Nov and unless a cold front comes through December should be ok also. The 2 months I stay away from are Jan and Feb. The closer you get to them the more chance of hitting a cold front.
Hey Swalt. Thanks for the info.

So do you expect to find reasonable numbers of fish when you get there? My impression is that we're looking at fewer fish, but larger on average at that time of year.

I'm also curious as to whether most of the fishing is done on sand vs grass/mud bottoms. My bonefish spotting got better this year, but it's a long way from good. I did manage a few fish on my own in Andros.

Ciao.

#9 ·
ericnotthered said:
Hey Swalt. Thanks for the info.

So do you expect to find reasonable numbers of fish when you get there? My impression is that we're looking at fewer fish, but larger on average at that time of year.

I'm also curious as to whether most of the fishing is done on sand vs grass/mud bottoms. My bonefish spotting got better this year, but it's a long way from good. I did manage a few fish on my own in Andros.

Ciao.
Ciao, I always "expect" to find reasonable numbers of fish! The fish are still there, large and small. Only if the water is too cool will you not see as many. I have been told that when that is the case you see larger fish because they are the ones that still come up on the flats. I have not noticed that though.

The bottom on Acklins is varried. You have light to dark and sand to coral with grass. Most of it is decent wading. If you run into mud just back up unless there is a tail waving at you.

Walt

#10 ·
Hey Eric......I've fished Acklins several times in Dec., albeit usually earlier in the month than you'r planning. As Swalt says your biggest concern should be possible cold fronts. I've never noticed any particular difference in wind speeds between different seasons down there. Some trips are windier than others. Moderate winds can mean less spooky fish. my biggest problem has always been cloudy conditions.

Flatsfisher

#13 ·
Felton's

I'd be potentially interested in a return visit with Felton at Salinas Point. Wonder if the road into his place is still in the almost unpassable condition?
If air fares to/from Nassau are anything like last couple years, travel on Tues/Wed is significantly less expensive than travel on Fri/Sat. I assume Bahamas air flights to Spring Point are still a Wednesday or Saturday proposition.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

#16 ·
Juro started another thread about a group March trip Fred.

I haven't been to Acklins in December, but I have been to Andros. The fishing was excellent. The weather doesn't yet cool off enough to really start to slow the fishing, and it's after hurricane season so it's actually pretty nice with winds that aren't that bad, it's sunny, and it's generally 85-90 or so for the daily high. It can be quite cold in the morning/evening though so bring a light jacket! And the sand flies are really bad too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.