Fly Fishing Forum banner

Top Spring Fly Patterns

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Hi All
38 days and counting, until we Brits invade the Cape.
Dave has been showing you one or two of his latest creations and you all have been a great help.

What I would like to ask is what fly patterns would you recommend I tie up. I know I need representations of Sand Eel. Silverside, Shrimp, Juvenile Flounders, Crabs and Squids but what patterns do you guys tie and in what colours and sizes for this time of year, also how many for 8 or 9 days hard fishing.

So little time and so much to do.

Mind you with the total lack of free time at the moment I am more likely to walk into the nearest Cape tackle shop and buy a box of each Fly.

Regards

Goose

#2 ·
Goose -

Your enthusiasm is contagious! Guys let's make it a point to have a Forum rendezvous day with the UK contingent.

Let me assure you that in spring the fly is of relatively little importance compared to other factors. In fact a simple white bunny fly will catch as many fish as anything fancy with jungle cock eyes.

Spend your time and energy on locations, tidal influences, temperature zones, and migratory highways - and anything you toss in the right places will get a nod from these hungry arrivals!

Most of the flies you listed will be unnecessary and only fished because you want to, not need to. By July, August they will become a necessity but in May and early June the fish are just not that picky - if you can find them. :cool:

#5 · (Edited)
Yup, a cocktail sounds good to me but i'm not sure that with all the kit i'm bringing, i'll have enough space in my luggage for a lounge suit though :chuckle:

if you know any journalists you could use the meet for your "battle of Monomy" campaign ( if its still going) - " UK Anglers support local fisherman etc" kind of publicity, pointing out that Monomy is world famous, and the seven of us will probably spend well over $10,000 in the local economy on bars, beer, food, tackle and accomodation over the 9 days.

here in Guernsey, we have our own bassfight & that kind of publicity is starting to pay off - using UK and French Anglers, threatening a tourist boycott and pointing out how important we are to the local economy

now the politicians are calling us ;)

Mark.

ps - i think most ,if not all of us coming are members of one or more fishing conservation groups too.

#6 ·
Hi Guys

I am one of the 7 cape crusaders, joining goose Gb and others from England fishing the Cape in June.

Just thought I say hi to you guys, I've been lurking for a while and enjoyed many of the posts.

I must state my admiration at many of the fly tying skills displayed, a source of inspiration to us Brits for whom the skills are still emerging.

I hope that I may meet some of you while we are there, I am prepared to stand a round for any hot tips.

ATB

Nemo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.