Fly Fishing Forum banner

A warning about Cabela's rod kits

6K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Steve_sullivan 
#1 ·
I ordered two (2) handle kits that included winding checks, 3 spools of thread, reel seat, cork grip, epoxy, finish glue, and what I thought was a complete guide set. However, when I received the kits, there were no tip-tops included. :mad:

If you Look here you will see that the picture clearly shows a tip-top included in the kit.

I called Cabela's to complain and pointed out that the web site clearly showed a picture of the kit that included a tip-top. They first told me that the kit did NOT include the tip-top and that I would have to purchase them. After arguing with them on the phone and being on put on hold several times, they said the best they could do for me was to charge me the price of the tip-tops and give me free shipping. But I would have to 20 days to receive them. No thanks... I'll just run up to Bob Marriott's and get them from him.

Pass the word about Cabela's kits.

#3 ·
Darren,

This is a very common mistake made by newcomers to rod building. Rod guide sets never include the tip tip. The reason for this is that the tips of rod blanks vary a lot from one rod maker or rod model to another. The guides, from stripping guides to running (snake) guides are of a pretty much standardized size progression for a given line wt rod; however, the same cannot be said of tip tops. I know of no rod building supplier who includes tips with guide sets.

And Cabela's catalog clearly states that guide sets do not include tip top, even though the tops are pictured with the guide sets.

#5 ·
rod building

Over the years I have built perhaps 50 rods, including bamboo. I have done business with Cabela's ever since Herter's went out of business. I find them to be an excellent source of any outdoor equipment. I have built many rods with their components. I have broken a couple of rods that I built from their blanks. I sent them back to Cabelas, they replaced the blanks, and also sent me all the components at no additional charge. I am going to start on a new project of a two handed rod, all of the parts will becomming from Cabelas, excellent service everytime. Their catalogs always say when something is not included, youn just have to read. I can relate to buying local, but I am not going to drive 50 miles to buy locally.:D I wish they had a store in southern New England.

#9 ·
Manufacturing tolerances do sometimes deviate from their stated sizes. And a few times, I've suspected that the finish on the rod blank was too thick near the tip. That's easily dealt with, using emory paper or steel wool. Roughing the surface of the tip is a good idea anyway; makes for better glue adhesion.

#11 ·
Second post, first time here. Though at times I have my reservations, Cabelas Rocks! I busted the tip of a rod past the first guide. this was a POS starter rod but I liked the soft action! Three years after purchase I called and asked about getting it repaired. They asked I send it to them (Just the rod, not the tube etc.) and they would be in touch. Viola! a 10days after I shipped, I received a new rod complete with new rod tube and sock.

So as I say, for various reasons I occasionally have reservations. In sum,
they done good by me.

David

#13 ·
I agree with chormer. I've had the great fortune to have the advice of a rod building great - "Smitty" of the Rod Builders Workshop (a Sponsor). He runs a well-stocked shop in Kingston, MA near Cape Cod just off the highway.

Not only has he built countless rods, but his wild "tales of adventure" are beyond fiction and knowing him they are all true. Stripers over 50 pounds, deer with unimaginable antlers, and a certain knack for "fair game" :hihi:

I highly recommend getting to know an individual, not a big catalog company if you want to build rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.