Fly Fishing Forum banner

Intruder Alert... Intruder Alert...

6K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  speydoc 
#1 ·
Just when you thought it was safe... go to the Spey Clave Tackle board and check the Fly boxes for tubes thread.

#6 ·
fishinfool,

I soak the tail in warm water for 15 minutes before I operate. As well a good single edge razor blade is a must. I find that the wrapping is easier if the tail is still supple from the soaking.

One other factor is practice. It seems alot easier to do now that I've tied a bunch of them!

Some guys have told me they sandpaper the pith off the back of the split tail which reduces the thickness of the feather. While I haven't tried it, it makes sense. Good luck.

#7 · (Edited)
Fishin Fool

I too soak my pheasant tail.....however, it is much longer...overnight is preferred. I hold the tail by the tip with one hand, with the quill pointed down , grasp the tail fibers of the opposite side with the remaining hand and pull down and steadily. Stripping the fibres from the center section of the tail

You are actually stripping the membrane of the tail with all the fibers in tact. but WITHOUT all the center pith.

What you end up with is a very nice hacklelike feather...sans the pith.

It is much like stripping one half of a hackle for a spey pattern.

Bit of a pain to soak overnight when you want to tie now. but believe me the little wait is well worth it. Stuff goes on like paint...smooth as silk

Best regards...Jake

#8 · (Edited)
Jake,

How much stiffness does the stripped feather have? One of the design characteristics of the Intruder is that the pheasant tail is stiff enough to help create the vortex of water that Ed wants. I will have to try this and check it out...

#9 ·
Tyler,

This method of stripping has no effect on the stiffness of the feather fibers whatsoever. It only removes most of the feather stem making wrapping it easier. This is the same method used to tie spey or dee flies in extra large sizes with Emu or Ostrich feathers.

#10 ·
Tyler

Flytyer hit the nail on the head......the stiffness of the pheasant tail fibers is still there. It just allows for easier less bulk building wrapping.

The stripping is the same as stripping one side of a large hackle to reduce bulk.

I dont use a razor knife at all.

Try it you wont go back to using a razor again.

Best regards.....Jake

#13 ·
Jake/Russ,

I soaked some pheasant tails last night and then stripped them. It worked great, while I haven't yet tied with them, I can see they will be great. One question, do you resoak them before tying, it appears that once it is dry that the membrane is a bit brittle?

#17 ·
Tyler and Jake,

If you put some hair conditioner in the por/pan you soak the tails in, it will keep the stem membrane nice and supple without the need to resoak before tying. Sorry about forgetting to mention this before.

Tyler,

You're becoming da' man with Intruders. Very nice work!

#21 ·
I have stripped just about anything that could be considered useable as a spey hackle - before I found rhea I used ostridge as a spey hackle, the shorter thinner stuff workes very well. In addition to Ringneck centres one can use Golden and Amherst centres, although I find the latter difficult to strip fully, even with an over night soak. Possibly of more interest is the use of the side tails of the Golden & Amherst, the latter strip much more easily than the centres and look good dyed up orange & purple - a light burn separates the fibres and completes the process. The larger feathers at the start of the tail(with the thicker stems) and the tail feathers of the Blue Eared can also be used as spey hackle after carefull striping. Although I have yet to try them I suspect the second grade white turkey wing and tail feathers would make exellent spey hackle after stripping and a light burn. Something not previously mentioned is that after stripping there is often a wider piece of "shell"(the coating of the quill) than is desired on the base of the new "hackle" - this is easily sliced of with a sharp pair of scizzors going along the side of the new "hackle" - this widened "shell" is more prominent towards the base of the parent feather.
I hope this makes sense to everyone - does anyone have any other ideas for feathers that can be stripped to form spey hackle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.