Fly Fishing Forum banner

Poly leaders

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  salt dog 
#1 ·
Have looked through this section but could find no comments either for or against poly leaders.

Can we start off a debate and at the same time educate me and others.

#2 ·
I've used the AirFlo on a 7wt. Scott at the Bear's den recommended them to me when I told him I was having trouble turning over some the heavier flies. They float great and provide great turnover. I've also noticed that as with other knotless leaders they don't pick up debris.

I like.

#3 ·
I started using them this year in conjunction with a III sink tip and find they really balance out the line and fly system, are a great help to get an unweighted fly down where I want it to be, easy to use, and very durable. I was surprised that something so flexible would readily turn over larger salt water patterns for coho, chum and sea-runs. Used them for sink tipping late summer steelhead too. All and all, its now a part of my normal sink set-up.

I've had no experience with using the floating poly leaders, and would be real interested in hearing from someone that has.

#4 ·
Like SD, I use the sinking type a lot. Mostly on my 5,6,7 wt single handed rods and on my lightweight spey rods 5/6 wt. mostly for trout fishing. Its faster to change a leader than an entire line and I can vary the sink rates and lengths at will. Never used the other types.
I also use them when I guide, to help folks who are not used to full sink lines or fast sink tips, it's like having a warm up session with lighter sinking tips before getting into the real fast sink tips or lines and most (inexperienced) clients find it easier to cast with. They handle weighted streamers very well. I mostly use RIO (sponsor).
One trick that I do is to clip off the short mono piece and tie on a loop, then I can also vary my actual leader (mono) lengths and strength.

#5 ·
good idea Pete

I like that idea Pete, hadn't thought about using the poly's as a quick substitute for a sink tip, but I can think of situations where that would have worked well and allowed me a quick change up without changing out my dry line. Usually I get lazy and just keep on fishing "as is" because I don't want to take the time to change my line out just for a smaller pocket.

I was doubtful about the value of the poly's when first exposed to them, especially with their higher cost and that I thought they essentially do the same thing as a leader. However, as the saying goes, "trust your guide", and I bought one. Because of their durability, I just change up the tippet and keep using the poly, and it has probably saved me dozens of leaders during a year of use, or at the least the time to repair the leaders. Normally I would have put on a new leader each time I go out. Now I just change out the tippet and inspect the poly before re-using. I put a loop on the end of the poly, and I'll tie a perfection loop on the tippet and changing tippets are a snap now, too. I ended up buying more for my other rods.

Pete, how's the snow pack so far up in Bow country ?

#7 ·
poly leaders

we use them here in the G.L. for steelhead and are great for swining flies. The trout leaders work very well, one tip we use for steelhead is to put a barrel swivel on the end of the leader, this helps when the fish start spinning and trashing .

#8 ·
SD: Use the non-slip loop knot for the tippet and polyleader

especially if you are going to push the envelope. The perfection loop is a low strength loop knot. It is fine for the heavy end of a leader, but not for the lighter tip.

#10 ·
I recently used a floating poly leader while fishing for Bonefish in the Turks and Caicos. It was very windy and the wind was pushing around the tippet and fly and making even a halfway decent presentation very difficult. I tried the 5' saltwater floating poly leader* and I have to say I was really amazed at the way it handled the wind. It would lay out fully with a nice tight loop and made a world of difference...I had to see it to believe the difference it made in those conditions.

* I would add about 4' of 8 or 12lb tippet and was good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.