Fly Fishing Forum banner

new project

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
ok i just got a reel seat and cigar grip and have decided to get a forecast 8' 4wt in 3 or 4 pc blank

here is a pic of the grip and reel seat
the reel seat is a down locking sliding band with a rosewood insert

i am figuring on candy apple red thread to go with the reel seat and chrome guides to go with the hard ware

i am thinking about using a metal winding check for the first time but not sure if i even will with how small the grip is
but if i do how do i figure out what size check i need?

one last question i need suggestions on a reel for it price range is 150

See less See more
#2 ·
Winding check

Cool project.

really CA red? I've always thought buff-er tones look better. Why not something TIPPED with red? Just a thought.

OK on the winding check. The checks I usually use are sixed in 64ths. So, measure the diameter of the blank EXACTLY where you want to install the check. Then, , say you have, for example, .200. THEN, divide that by .015625. That'll give you the size at that point on the blank in 64ths.

I don't do graphite, so I'm not sure what you do if you are RIGHT in between, say 13 and 14 64ths. I'd suggest getting a larger check and just doing a thin layer of rodfinish or 8/0 thread under it. Again, I'm not carbon rod expert.

If you want a really striking winding check, go to goldenwitch dot com.

Cheers---

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.