Fly Fishing Forum banner

World Fly Fishing Expo

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
It is my understanding that the World Fly Fishing Expo in Wilmington, MA, will not run this winter. Don't know if this is a temporary or permanent decision on Paul Fullers part. He will continue to run the Sportsmen's Outdoors Show in other cities.

If so, it's a sad end of another era. Paul has been very generous allowing fly fishing clubs and nonprofit groups like the Fly Fishing Forum get the good word out. Few promoters offer free space for benevolent groups. His generously speaks volumes in a commercialized world that's based on the bottom line.

The niece aspect of the World Show is that it marks the end of winter and the start of fishing season. I'm going to have to restructure my calendar somehow to get psyched again for the spring.

Does anyone know any more on the subject?

#2 ·
That is very sad news. I always looked forward to getting together with the forum gang, tying flies, pushing raffle tickets, generally bs'ing and, this past year, playing guitar:smokin:

It's my impression that attendance at the shows in had declined over the past couple of years. The Danbury show this year was about half the size of the previous year.

#4 ·
I spoke with Paul last winter and yes, the Wilmington Show is retired. I thought Paul was too but apparently he is staying on to run sporting shows (generic).

His generosity and genuine enthusiasm in the fly fishing community will be appreciated years after the show has ended.

With the antics of the other area show management in town (political manipulations and stonewalling of honest businesses) I really hope another show schedule arises in the wake of this loss.

#5 ·
The Danbury show is also done; at least for 2007. I thought the traffic last year was not that bad; at least there was not the "annual blizzard" last January that seemed to accompany Jim's show.

Attendance is one issue at shows that factors into their financial viability. The other is vendors. In talking to many of the manufacturers they are not convinced that they are getting the necessary visibility (to justify their expense) at each and every show. Without committments from the major manufacturers it becomes tough to not only cover costs but it makes it more difficult to attract people to come to the shows. It seems that without the exhibitors the show traffic slows, and then as the show traffic slows the exhibitors pull back.

Given the high costs in starting up in the trade show business, coupled with needing to get manufacturers to commit when they are already pulling back from the number of shows they do, it is not likely that new shows will pop up in areas or regions where shows presently exist.

The only major area that is without a fly fishing show outside of FL is the Buffalo area. There had been some talk of a show opening there that might be able to draw from Southern Ontario but that has not happened as far as I know.

Bill Greiner

#7 ·
I too enjoy the SW Edge show.

I've not been able to make Bears Den yet but really would like to. They have some great gear and hard-to-find fly tying stuff.

Mid week is tough from Western CT.

Maybe they'll schedule it for a Saturday next year? (Not-so-subtle hint :wink: )

#9 ·
My only wish for the Bear's Den show is that they should have more things you can actually purchase there. I know it's probably tough for Scott to bring a lot of stuff for people to buy from his shop, but I often leave there with money burning a hole in my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.