Fly Fishing Forum banner

Frenchcreek Eagle Cast - the line soars

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FrenchCreek 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share something I learned this week from Frenchcreek about two-handed overhead casting. Tried it out this morning and so far had the best day ever with my two-handed surf rod.

Hold the main handle with you dominant hand and use the middle finger to secure the line. The base of the rod is held primarily by the palm and secured by the fingers. Kind of like "Eagle Claw" when playing hands on a bat for a pickup baseball game.

If casting with a shooting head keep the head inside the guides, keep the trajectory of the cast high, the rod on plane, and make a short powerful stroke. To stop the rod pull with the bottom hand and push with the top, to get a very aburpt stop can slap the bottom hand against your body.

I found this technique far more effective than gripping the bottom handle.

I'm still a 2-hand newbie but this morning I was getting a 9/0 bunker fly a consistent and easy 90' in a pretty good breeze.

#3 ·
I have the 38' Orvis heads - I think they are silver label. The head's rear taper extends to the first stripping guide.

I used to try to keep a foot or so of running line beyond the tip, but I find it easier to generate line speed when the head is in the blank.

The tick of the loop going through the guides is a small price to pay for the added power.

#5 ·
Just remember the sequence.
Slap it!
Wrap it!
Wack it!
AND... remember that we are talking about the shooting head here, not the wood logs you so daintilly chopped all week.
It was an aboslute pleasure to have you along, looking fwd to next year.
P.S. send me a PM regarding the finger gloves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.