Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mini Bucktail Flatwings

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
At the Nauset outing this wekend I spoke with Todd Murphy and looked thought his flybox and he showed me this type of fly. This should be good on the flats in high sun. It a delicate fly tyed with blended Bucktail, pearl braid and a tail of thin Hackle. I did as Todd suggested and blended the bucktail with three or four stands of one color then another...up to 5 or six different colors... On the Chartruese fly I blended 5 colors,white ,with four different shades of Chartruese Bucktail, including basic yellow..The eyes are small jungle cock... He commented that big hooks were the way to go and I tyed on short 1/0 new Verivas hooks... The gap in the new Verivas on a 1/0 would be like a 3/0 on another hook. They are also on short shanks... I think a perfect little fly for those days when you don't want alot of flash and want to work at not spooking fish.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Striblue,
Those look great. I was amazed by those flies and the hooksize to boot. Todd's were tied on 3/0 hooks. I think he even had some without the flat wing at all. They were just bucktail. And beautifully blended as well. I have to sit down and bang a few out.

Nick

#9 ·
Here's my attempt...not quite as good. Also image is scanned, so its not excellent.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.