Fly Fishing Forum banner

Christmas Island Journal

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Just a placeholder for the destination page I want to put together when Nathan and Adrian return from their trips. Combined with GregD's testimonials (and anyone else who's been there recently) we should have a heck of an informative page for people wanting to learn from the experiences of those who have made the journey... including myself!

#2 ·
RE:Christmas Island Journal - Just checking in

Arrived back in the cold North East, somewhat jet-lagged but thought I'd just say hi! This years CXI trip turned out to be a bit disappointing due of all things to weather! Despite all the reports I've seen and book/magazine articles, THERE IS A RAINY SEASON on the equator!

During the seven day's on the Island, we had only one "typical" Christmas Island day - blue sky & minimal cloud. The rest of the time heavy cloud and even heavier rain made fish spotting very difficult.

Depending on who you talk to, the rainy months fall anywhere between January and the end of May. The week prior to our arrival was also wet & cloudy. There were some high points however including battles (3 - 0 FISH)with two 70lb plus giant trevally and the biggest barracuda I've ever seen - it was bigger than me! - and a great day of "Xtreme" bonefishing the final day in the surf at the Korean Wreck site. Also, Clive and Norm each took a milkifish (Chanos Chanos) of about 6lb on fly and managed to land them - a very rare flyfishing accomplishment.

Due to the weather I didn't take the digital camera out much but I will post a proper trip report with pics after our get together on Saturday. Also, the lads in the UK will be scanning their pics and emailing them so look out for updates at a later time.

Looks like the threads have been humming since I went away!

#4 ·
<a href="http://www.avsharp.com/cxi_2001/Return_to_Kiritimati.htm" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.avsharp.com/cxi_2001/Return_to_Kiritimati.htm</a><!--auto-->

Finally got a trip report posted.

Consider this a first installment.

I'm waiting for more pictures from the U.K. guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.