Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cape Cod Fishing Report

17K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  quinn_canfield 
#1 ·
Just got back from two days on the Cape. A week ago I post with a question about where to go. I mentioned Stage Harbor, Hardinng Beach, Skaket. We ended up fishing Pleasant Bay (to get out of the wind), Hardings and Brewster flats.
The weather Monday was poor. Wind and heavy rain but we did manage to catch quite a few fish. Hardings was almost unfishable due to high winds and lots of junk in the water. Next we headed Pleasant Bay (Strong Island area) and found schoolies. We stayed there killing time until a couple hours into the falling tide on Brewster flat. I've never been there before but we met up with a guy from Germany who is a regular and he showed us the ropes. The place was awesome! Found lots of fish. Everything from fish so small I could believe that the big boys did not eat them up to mid 30" range. Some sight fishing but mostly blind casting due to the weather.
We went back on Tuesday for the afternoon low tide and again found lots of fish everywhere. This time the sun was out and it was more of a sight casting game. Great stuff.
I am not sure how far into the summer Brewster fishes until the water gets too warm but I can't believe I've fish the Cape for 10 years and never went there.
Special thanks for Ralph from Germany and Melvin (hope I have his name right) for rescuing us when we has a little canoe "incident" heading out to the sand bars. We rewarded Ralph for his excellent "guiding" by taking him out for a swim on Brewster flats!

Quinn

See less See more
#4 ·
Please don't post specifics about parking areas, etc. on a public forum. Glad you had a good time fishing but mentioning exact locations on forums is not a good idea. THe crowds are already bad enough and we lose more and more public access on the cape every year. Thanks.

#6 ·
Spot Burning

Quinn, it was a nice report and I am glad you had some good outings and caught fish. However please take Big Dave"s advice and keep your locations to general area descriptions such as Sandwich, Buzzards bay etc.

You will be doing yourself and others a big favor. If you go onto a site and ask about places to go fishing and in the same breath you mention specific locations that you just fished you honestly can not expect to get much in the way of responses, especially if for example I see that you just posted one of the places I may fish regularly.

I can see that people concurred it was a nice report, the one that bothered me was a Fly Shop from California concurring about Spot Burning, especially since it is only their second post, Good way to drum up business.. Fortunately they are on the west coast so they won't have to worry about getting my business, especially since I support my local shop the Bears Den which is in my opinion one of the best fly shops on the east coast and I have been to quit a few.

#8 ·
I dearly miss the days when you used to be able to get a pretty good sense of the fishing on Cape by reading the forums during the week while planning out the weekend. I don't share on the forums any longer either -- why take the heat and why share when no one else will? I do miss it, tho.

#13 ·
I've been away a lot on the west coast this year - but all but two outings were multi-keeper sessions and I would say it's been as good as any year I can remember on the Cape.

I am currently outfitting a SUP for fishing and will be out on Monomoy next weekend; had too much to catch up on this past weekend after being away almost two weeks. As a side note, what a ridiculous overkill that Yeti cooler is on kayaks or paddleboards - my SUP only weighs 22 pounds why would I put a 15 pound cooler on it. And it costs hundreds of dollars to boot.

I found a great box for $20 at an office supply store that will suit me just fine with a few simple modifications

#14 ·
Wow! I have not revisited this post since shortly after I posted it. Guess I should have to protect my good name. I don't recognized many of the posters but I can say that I have posted on this forum for several years. During that time I have learned about possible fishing spots on the cape from others (thank you Juro and others) and have shared my thoughts as well. Anyone who fishing the Cape regularly (which I don't count myself as one, just two or three times a year) knows about Hardings beach area, Monomoy, Brewster, Pleasant Bay, Cape Cod canal. I never mentioned where I parked or exactly where I fished. I am pretty sure I did not violate anyone's fishing trust.
It never ceases to amaze me that on one hand we need new people in our sport so that the manufactures and stores can continue to stay in business but on the other hand few people are willing to take the tell to help others learn the ropes and that includes pointing them in the right direction for fishing locations. The ocean is a vast desert with small pockets of fish habitat. If someone only goes down to the cape a time or two a year it is hard to figure out where to go on your own. Every year a take a bunch of new people to the Salmon River in NY with the hopes on hooking (no pun intended) on fly fishing. The last thing that river needs is more people but it is a great way to get a non fisherman in to the sport. Because of that I have have several friends who have become passionate fisherman. They buy waders, rods, flies, reels and lines. They now bring their kids and our sport which I have passionately been a part of for nearly 50 years continues for another generation.

Sorry for the rant but I though the criticisms in this case were unfair.

Quinn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.