Fly Fishing Forum banner

a fly fishing trip...

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Gaspe13 
#1 ·
Where would you go as a solo dry fly fisherman for best fishing in the Western US or lower BC/Alberta areas--either guided in a lodge or fishing alone--prefer wading but some drifting ok. 5 nights, 4 days, budget in the $2500-3000 range. Relative solitude preferred. No horses. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
The Bow in Alberta is my favorite river in North America, but you won't always have solitude. Other water there: the Crowsnest: Oldman's; Raven; Pincher Creek. You should PM French Creek if he doesn't see this.

#3 ·
Fishing the Bow

Hi Jeff, I live in Calgary so if you consider "doing the Bow" let me know I can provide you with many options from guided floats to wade access information. Timing is important for planning. Typically the Bow is in spring run-off from mid June to mid July, depending of course on snow pack (and we have a lot this year) and melt weather.

#4 ·
Alberta/BC

Lots of water here to explore but one would need to know when you are going to be here. The main issue come May/June and early July is run off the Bow is usually out if there is any normal amount of snow pack. However there is a lot of smaller streams around to keep one occupied. The southeastern part of BC is fishable at that time along with the smaller streams in Alberta but keep in mind there are closures till mid June for spawning. Give me a PM if you want more particulars the Bow is fishing well right now with the recent weather.

#5 ·
Sorry if this wastes your time. I`m Not sure if you are committed to the west coast, but if dry fly is your preference, Gaspe, Quebec has some of the best sight fishing for Atlantic Salmon you will find any where. Late July and August are usually productive and Atlantics are awesome on dry flies. All rivers are easily waded and you could certainly find an option that would fit easily under your budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.