Fly Fishing Forum banner

tag ends of guide wrapping

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  daveg 
#1 ·
I have a question. When I tie off a guide wrapping I am not always able to cut the tag end as close as needed, at that point the tag end is too short to grab in order to get the razor blade in there to cut it right against the wrapping. Is there any suggestions for dealing with these recalcitrant threads (no pun intended).
signed
At loose ends

#3 ·
There's a way to do it without having to cut near the wraps: simply cover the looped piece of thread used to pull the tag end of the wrapping thread under the wraps with some room to spare, then pull the loop out from beneath the wraps when you're ready, and there will be no tag end left to cut (it's completely beneath the wraps). Good luck!

#4 ·
I'll second flyfisha1's repsponse. Check out the pic below. If you pull the loop part way through then cut the tag end before pulling the loop all the way through the tag will be buried under the wraps. Try to get the tag at least 3/4 of the way under the wrap.

Use the same size thread for creating the loop under your wrap. I only used that yellow backing to show contrast. A thick material like the 30lb backing can leave you with a loose wrap.

Attachments

#5 ·
Tag ends on guide wraps

Thanks for your replies. Cutting the tag end before pulling it through Is such an elegent solution. Now why didn't I think of that. Flyfisha1 I don't want to hear you complaining about the winter while you are comfortably ensconsed in Florida. Have some mercy on us poor fools who are slogging it out in New York.
Jim W. thanks for the photo. It helped.

#6 ·
Another way to deal with that "stubble" left when your closest trim with razor or scissors isn't quite close enough: burn it. First separate the stub into fuzz with scissors, bodkin or needle. Turn it to the bottom of the rod. Quickly (less than two seconds) flame it with match or lighter. If you take a second too long, you'll smoke and/or burn through the thread. But done properly, the fuzzy stub will disappear.

#7 ·
Tag ends

Hi guys

Have not been arround for quite a long time.

The best way to burry any tag end on the over rap is to pull the tag at 90 degrees to your wrap in point ,it builds a little tent snip as tight AS YOU CAN GET TO the tent ,, the tent will cover the cut portion almost compleyely. A little singe will eliminate any hairs and just massage the remaining wraps to cover the cut portion.

saltRon <*}}}}><

#8 ·
The best and cleanest method I've found (Courtesy of L.A Garcia's video) is to use a bobbin threader instead of a piece of heavier thread.

Leave your tag end long enough to get a hold of and pull it and the bobbin in opposite directions.

The tag end will be left under the over wraps every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.