Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's the current situation?

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  topwater 
#1 ·
I may be in town for business early August... thinking of doing the kicker boat thing at Sekiu for some saltchuck fun with a fly. Anyone been out there lately?

#5 ·
Yep I have heard they are on the way and the numbers of coho being caught ny those looking for chinook sound to be steadily increasing. We may not find the hooknoses that early but lots of 5-8 pounders eager to take poppers.

I may be able to get away for a day. Just set a date and I will see if I can fit it in my schedule.

-sean

#6 ·
I just got back from sekiu and there are a lot of silvers and some pinks out there. I did really well on a tube fly of my own design (pink/white) and on another tube baitfish pattern.
There were even salmon crashing bait right at the end of the breakwall leaving olsons.
Not a lot of size to the fish yet but I did get one nice coho around 10 pounds.

#7 ·
Cool! Maybe it would be appropriate to do a little chinook research while there, it being the prime of the king migration and all in August. I'll bring a deep-probe sinking head just in case, maybe some LC-13 or something.

Also will bring one of the beach rods, although the line weight will be striper-sized until the pacific series is ready, it will still be a kick to try some beach coho with the big stick somewhere out on the straits.

On the sweetwater side, I can't wait to field test the 13' 7/8wt Custom (1307 SP) over stealthy summer runs on the OP streams!

#8 ·
i was also out at neah bay fishing a week ago and hooked 3 Kings on flies. I was using strictly a chart/white clouser out there but the fish at sekiu didnt want that at all.
the kings at neah were out in the ocean and not very deep, maybe 15 feet. I was using my type VI head to get down.

#10 ·
I CANNOT WAIT to fish that sweet 1307 custom for summer runs on the cascade streams, not to mention the OP and Columbia tribs as well!

I will nail down a date ASAP, but must make some choices - can't afford Gaspe', Coho clave, Denver Retailer Show (CND Booth), Nova Scotia, BC, then Aruba all in the next several months! (even if I am willing to sleep in my truck whenever possible!).

I'll let you guys know as soon as I can firm up my plans.

#11 · (Edited)
Juro-
The more I fish the 1307, the more I love it...it is having no problem at all throwing 80+' of a 7/8 Long Delta with XSuper Fast Sinking Polyleaders. And today I did have her bent to the cork on a big chromer that sawed me off the rocks! :(

BTW-If you need rides and places to stay and such when you are out, let me know. I am more then willing to do whatever I can!

#13 ·
Leland, yours should be Especially Lucky

seeing as how Sparky broke it in for you. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Seriously tho, it's not really the rod - have Ryan show you the hot fly he's been hooking those fish on. :D

The Coho are at Seiku and I'm READY for some popper action!

DS

#15 ·
Silvers

Just got back from Tofino on Monday. We got some nice fish , mostly bucktailing. Tony did get 1 on a cast clouser. The largest was 30"and fat, I estimate 10lb. Everyone at the lodge said it is shaping up to be a good year, lots of big silvers around already, and they should be on their way to Sekiu next.

Bob

#16 ·
hooknose

Fished bumper boats at Neah Bay last Friday. Tons of fish were evident and lots of fishermen-- in fact, we almost got hit by a troller in the rip. Didn't throw flies as I had two 11-year-olds, seasick as well, on board. We caught a mix of silvers and humpies and one 10-pound silver with just a touch of hook. That was very interesting...

Have heard few reports from Sekiu, but the fishermen are there. Not much showing around PT yet, though. Was out for a while this morning and saw only one cutt jump. Whidbey should be good, I would think, and I might find out tomorrow.

Love this time of year,

Keith

#17 ·
I should find out within the next couple of days what my potential schedule will be. I'm bringing my daugther out to visit her childhood buddies before school starts so it's gotta be August for me this year. Perfect rationale, the wife even asked me if I would do it :D :smokin:

#18 ·
the fish are defintely out in the ocean this summer. it's been better for coho from day 1 this season compared to last season. my last few trips have really amazed me at the numbers of fish.

this past saturday i had a last minute cancellation so i decided to fish by myself. left the dock a little late (7:45 am) and got fishing between 8:30 and 9:00 am. it was literally nuts all day on the cast fly. left around 12:30-12:45 after landing (my definition is having leader in hand) 40 silvers and 9 pinks plus 4-6 mackerel. what really amazed my was the grabiness of these fish to the surface fly (cast slider). landed 6-7 fish on the surface fly including 2 pinks. didn't last all that long for the surface fly but i was glad i had the rod rigged up. kept two keepers, one was 8 lbs. the other was 10 lbs. it's amazing how these fish can be more aggressive one day than another (thursday the fish weren't as grabby... but we still landed around 20-25 silvers)

it's only gonna get better, with the amount of feed out there these fish are gonna get much bigger. of course, unlike all the inside fishermen, i'm praying for no rain... because i'd like the fish to stay put <G>.

looks more like 2 years ago than last year (as good as the fishing was at times last season i'll take the consistency this year).

chris

#19 ·
Situation Report...

The situation is about as good as it gets. Although there are a lot of small cohos under 6# there are just as many that are over 6#. The pink run remains strong. And you won't have to feel guilty about "streesing low water trouts in par boiled condition rivers."
Fishing inside the outer Straits is good enough but if you must be involved in catching "fish too numerous too count", by all means go outside Tatoosh and join in the frenzy.
From the looks of the parking spaces and the number of boats on the water it won't hurt to have a few more anglers out on the water. Good luck and enjoy.

#20 ·
Topwater or anyone,
What is the mackerel you mentioned in your post? Whats it's real name and does it look anything like an North Alantic Mackerel?

Sailing up on the strait for three days but don't plan on getting to Neah Bay. Will tow zodiak fly fishing chase boat just incase we see fish feeding on surface. Did see Coho being caught last Saturday at light house on Marrowstone. Too crowded for me went elsewhere and had a great morning of SRC fishing.

If anyone happens upon a beautiful 32 foot Rhodes sloop, one ugly older than middle age guy with three teenagers aboard pull up alongside and have a gin & tonic and chat awhile.
OC

#21 ·
They look like them but different, less blue and more green and a little chunkier. Not quite as streamlined in the head as the atlantic brethren. Hit flies like mad and provide a dogged albeit boring fight. Usually and indication that your fly is not moving fast enough.

#23 ·
yeh, it was great seeing so many people casting flies out there last week. was almost shocking how many boats had people casting flies... if only the rare conditions of no swell, fog, or wind lasted forever. the fog has returned with a vengeance.... and the minus tides, and the associated strong nightime ebb has pushed a lot of the fish back into the ocean. the fishing right at the entrance was not as good sunday and monday... although there were fish available, it wasn't anything like the craziness of the previous week (1 client landed 57 salmon.... 18 in the first drift of the morning).

we fished further offshore and found good fishing, although we had to contend at times with mackerel and dogfish (and there's no retreive in existence that completely eliminates hooking mackerel.... and fast isn't always best for coho, the majority of hookups come on pauses.)

rich, glad you got everything worked out and were able to fish saturday afternoon... as someone who was knocked out of the water for a week with engine problems earlier in the season... i felt your pain. hopefully more people will start seeing the truth about neah bay and the salmon fly fishery here.... it's second to none.... and i love that less people are trolling flies, because it's just not necessary.

good luck to anyone else heading up here,

chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.