Fly Fishing Forum banner

Silver Grey

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Over the past few days, I've been photographing some flies tied by Bryant Freeman, an old friend, great fisherman and flytyer from Moncton, NB. I thought I'd post pics of a couple of my favorites. This Silver Grey is a local version (with the addition of red goose in the wing), originally adapted by Lydia Croft, who tied flies for the sports in the 1930s and 40s at the Freeman House, the salmon lodge run by Bryant's family on the Medway River in Nova Scotia. The Medway once had great runs of large Atlantics, now is closed to salmon fishing, due to low returns. Bryant told me that as a kid, he would tie this fly on his leader on May 15th, and take it off August 1st, if the water held that long.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Macspey.
I will be tying at a show on the 27th of March in Dieppe N.B. with Bryant as well as Jerome Molloy, Warren Duncan, Jacques Heroux,etc. bryant ties a beautiful fly and your camera work isn't too bad either. I am really looking forward to watching these guys first-hand. i may not get any tying done:hehe:
Beautiful fly, fishable, and well photographed>
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne
><)))*>

#3 ·
Hey Dwayne,
Thanks for the kind words, it's hard to take a bad pic of such beautiful flies as Bryant's. You're sure gonna be in fine company up in Dieppe, a bunch of fine tyers. I have a few flies from each of those gents from swaps, etc., over the years. Jacques ties a beautiful 'Same Thing Murray', deadly fly.
Cheers,
John

#5 ·
flytyer,

They have an action that hairwings cannot duplicate
I sure agree with you there- they really come alive in the water. I hope some day to become a proficient enough tyer that I can fish these things comfortably without the deathly fear of losing one :eyecrazy: I have fished Bryant's Siver Greys, and also my own hairwings- they are both very effective at times, but I do believe the featherwing is a more powerful fishing tool. It's interesting to hear that steelhead like them too...
John

#6 ·
John,

I fish featherwings, speys, dees, General Practitioners (tied in the original classic stlye), low-water featherwings, toppings wing sun flies, and Irish Shrimp style flies 90% of the time when fishing sunk fly of greased line. They are very effective on steelhead. I have a strong suspician they are not used more often because folks don't want to lose them or haven't developed the tying skills to tie them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.