Fly Fishing Forum banner

200,000 mile blitz

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I was in NYC and heading home when I noticed my toyota tundra was about to turn over... TWICE OVER - 200,000 miles baby! 199995.... 199996...7...8...9.... the BIG 200!!

Unfortunately as my eyes were glued to the odometer I didn't notice that there was a blitz of EPIC proportions happening off a point on Old Wharf Drive, that recreational road on the shoreline near the IKEA building!! The water was churning and the birds were going crazy... you could have seen it for two miles if you were lookin'

I looked for an exit but the highway soon crosses over the other side of the Qunnipiac River (I think) and it was too amused by it all to turn back.

On a related note there were bunker, silversides, anchovy, and more bunker on Vineyard sound in incredible numbers this weekend.

We saw an albie launch several feet into the air vertically like a salmon, the air time was incredible in fact if we had been a bit closer we would have had a better chance to grab it then a Fenway foul ball.

I suspect it was being chased by a king mackeral with the sightings of 5 footers being reported.

See less See more
#2 ·
Those may be the bluefish that on Wednesday stretched from the Charlestoen Breachway all the way to the Mystic River. A blitz of epic proportions rarely seen in my lifetime. Seems they are headed west. I think they ate almost everytning in sight! The same area was somewhat devoid of peanuts on Sunday.

Phil

#3 ·
Don't worry, there were more than enough bunker today. Brown stains as far as the eye could see. Breachway was chocked with it. Kids jumping off the bridge were afraid to jump onto the bunker schools - they looked too solid!
Nobody but comorants to bother the bait while I was there mid day but the rocks were covered with blood and half digested/regurged bunker. Looked like the night crew must have been busy.:smokin:
In the AM those other things were bitin pretty good at the other place further east till the wind finally churned the water too much. Lotta bait there as well.:devil:

#7 ·
So Juro what's your next vehicle going to be? My truck is getting up there and it's a dilemma for me. I love the Toyota 4 cyl but someday I might upgrade my boat. But the idea of sitting in traffic on 128 everyday with a 6 cyl. is not a good one with the future of gas prices. Yet the difference is affordable. Hmmm...

Terry

#8 ·
FJ Cruiser, just waiting for the new colors. :smokin:

4x4 system is outrageous and the beach awaits the new ride... which comes with an A/C generator and standard outlet and direct mp3 player hookup, 6 CD changer, washable floors, etc.

#9 ·
Juro,

I can't resist this my friend.

What, only 200,000 on that Toyota and your contemplating getting a new rig? I thought Toyota's ran forever. My Jeep Cherokee just turned 250,000 and my mechanic tells me I should be able to get 350,00 to 400,000 on it before the engine needs to be replaced or redone. Of course, as you know, Washington is smart enough not to salt its roads so vehicles don't rust to death. :biggrin:

Seriously, next time don't be watching the odometer and get off the highway to get some fishing in. And enjoy your new FJ.

#10 ·
flytyer said:
Of course, as you know, Washington is smart enough not to salt its roads so vehicles don't rust to death. :biggrin:

What No Salt? You must live in Utopia!

Question: Are the majority of the drivers smart enough drive their cars on unsalted roads without causing accedents?

That certainly is not the case here in New England the past few decades. Too many people drive their SUV's with the attitude that "I have FWD" Varrrrrrooooooommmmm Vrooom, all ahead full :tsk_tsk:

#11 ·
Russ,

The jeep is a runner-up, I rented one in PR lately and it was a sweet ride and up to the task in the back country.

Warren,

No snow in Seattle... boy I miss those drizzly winters. Warm enough for a sweater only with few exceptions and you don't need to own a shovel.

I see the same thing with 4wd / Awd in the snow... it helps you go but it don't help you STOP!

#12 ·
Juro...we have something in common...a desire for an FJ Cruiser....I made the mistake of test driving one about 5 weeks ago (pre-stock market debacle)....what a vehicle!!! Handled like a sports car, ride was as quiet and smooth as a Caddy, sound system unbelieveable....plus an all vinyl interior so that I can open the doors and hose out all my pipe ash :) Love the Voodoo Blue color.
Only downside is that it uses premium fuel.
I am rooting for the market to recover and fantasizing in the meantime.
Ron

#16 ·
Warren,

As Juro mentioned, we seldom get snow or ice here in western Washington. I have seen the same thing you spoke of with folks in 4X4's and AWD's when we do get the few days of some snow or on frost covered roads around here too.

Even in eastern Washington, that does get snow and ice, the roads aren't salted. In fact, most of the western states don't salt roads in winter. Since I grew up in Pennsylvania, when I moved to Montana in 1979 and found they didn't salt roads despite getting snow and some significantly below zero temps, it took me by surprise. There weren't that many folks in Montana ending up in the ditch though, probably because if they did, they might well have been 30-40 miles from the nearest town.

It sure is nice living somewhere you don't have your vehicle's body or frame rust out from the salt.

Juro,

Norah and I like the FJ as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.