School for the clave

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bender 
#1 ·
10" or so Herring and Macks
Tied flatwing and tented style. Pearl Estaz grande gill plates

See less See more
#6 ·
Jim -

Gorgeous looking flies, and I am sure you will get a good response from the fish as well as the fishermen.

Esa -

Seeing that you're from Finland, I am assuming you have atlantic salmon as a main angling target - is that right?

The primary mid-sized fish in the US northeast is the striped bass, which luckily for the striper angler eats the head of it's prey. So we can have a 12 inch fly with a one-inch hook in the front and hook up! How lucky is that? :)

I fished steelhead for much of my life, and to a lesser degree atlantic salmon - and I would concur that the chances of getting a good hookset on a front-placed hook for searun salmonids is dramatically less.

Lately I've been getting great hookup to take ratios with steelhead on the swung fly (US Pacific Northwest) using the rearward hook loop design Ed Ward made popular with his "Intruder" fly. Now if I can just get more 'takes' I'll be all set :)

- Juro

#7 ·
I recall reading Striper uses sudden opening of the mouth "vacuuming technique" when eating.

I live in southern Finland and unfortunately I can not go after Atlantic Salmon every year. Lately my primary fish has been Pike which does not hook very well to short hook flies but often Pike does not give up and can hit multiple times. I have tied Intruder type flies for Pike using Steel wire to connect the hook. I am coming to Cape Cod soon and will take some of my slimmer Pike flies to use for Stripers.

Esa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.