Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skookum Pontoon Boat

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gkis 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm in the research stages of buying a pontoon boat, and any info out thee would be great. First of all I live in British Columbia, Canada. I will be doing mostly river Fishing, I looked at the skookum Pontoon boat manufactured by Bill Day, and this seems the one .

Can anyone offer some information on this pontoon boat.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I can only give you high praise for these boats. Some of my information might be outdated but these have/had the most durable material of any pontoon on the market. The frames are also great and I wouldn't be afraid to take these on any trout or steelhead river.

I'm looking at getting the guide model myself and after talking with Bill a number of times I think that's what I'll get because sometimes I just don't want the hassel of taking the driftboat when I'm by myself.

If you decide to get one tell Bill that Shannon from REI here in Bend, OR sent you.

#3 ·
Skookum Pontoon Boats

FlyJunkie,

Thanks for your reply, I am pumped about this pontoon boat and when I purchase one I will pass your name along.

The Guide model is also the one I am thinking about with the anchor system, I almost bought a "skeeter" then stumbled across bIll's site and I am glad I did.

So do already own a different model? Is your opinion coming from experience? I tried to buy a a second hand one in the states, had the deal worked out and everything but the dude sold it to some one else. Grrrr.

Oh well. thanks again. there are so many rivers here to explore in outstanding scenery so I am convinced this is it.

Anyone else that wants to throw in their two cents I would love to hear from ya.

Later eh.

BC Boy.

#5 ·
skookum

I have had a guide model 10' since 2003, it is bulet proof and it turns a lot of heads when drifting down river. It also handles big waves and high class 3 white water.
In terms of quality and durability you will not see another pontoon boat like this.
BUTit is very very very very heavy. Those who are planning to hike a few yards or going up on steep banks don't even think about getting it as is too heavy, how about drifting down a river to an obstacle and having to portage around it, would be way too difficult.
Now I am using it only when fishing with a friend, it is large enough to hold a second person in the back with a few adjustments, also am using it when fishing difficult water that has access to put in and take out. The rest of time I use a Watermaster type of inflatable( made by Star inflatables$800, that in my opinion looks better build and cheaper than the brand name) that could carry long distances and up on steepy banks and is very stable in rough water.
I live on Skeena anf fish all kind of rivers, slow and fast, big and small, and if had to choose one inflatable only, it would be my Watermaster type.
George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.