Fly Fishing Forum banner

No. Shore report- Big bait-small fish

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tie-dye-fly-guy 
#1 ·
Last night , last 2 hours of light I fished an ongoing blitz in Beverly.
The cove was packed wall to wall with huge bunker to 3 inches. There was another school of 3-4 inch bait there as well ( olive on top over silver body but only as wide as a finger?) Anyone know what that is? There were small stripers thwacking it and Grego and I managed a couple. Too much bait and we were wading. Of course we both own boats and left them home due to limited time. :chuckle:
There were ~ 6 boats and 3 kayaks on the schools. They did better than us as we were walled in with bait, literally. Everyone who caught landed 19-20 inch stripers. NO BIG FISH! I am personally in fear of the striper stocks crashing as I (and everyone else I know) have observed a year of ONLY small fish.

Lefty

#2 ·
Sounds like things are brewing up on the noth showah! Bigger fish are pretty plentiful down the cape still so I have to assume this year was a year of limited reach for the striper biomass to the north. Heard the same about Boston Harbor too.

Cape's had good fish from the Canal to the national seashore and thru the rips - although probably not like most years.

MY wild-assed guess is that they just didn't push as far north this year.

#4 ·
I'm with ya on the small fish scene. I think that the pogies are on the rebound and the big fish are able to do alright on that baitfish. The live liners have been getting plenty of large so it might be a case of giving them what they want. It seems to me I did better on the big fish when there were no pogies to be had.

#5 ·
speaking of pogies.

we ran into a ball of 12 inch poagies on way from bev harbor to west beach last pm. thats big fish bait and through whispers in the wind have heard of a few near 50 lb cows caught in local waters. for me its all dinks all the time so far. now im thinking bout going after a white shark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.