Fly Fishing Forum banner

Canadian Atlantic Salmon in the fall?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gaspe Salmon 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

Last year I went to Ponds on the Miramichi for a few days and I am currently trrying to work out what I should do this year.
I want to go for about 5 days or so to a good salmon river with reasonable accomodation. I understand that not being a resident that I need a guide - that's OK.

Does anyone know anything about Gaspe?
For me over here in Europe it is just a word.

Pete

#2 ·
Gaspe

I've fished Gaspe in the Fall for the past couple of years. Unlike New Brunswick, guides are not required in Quebec.
That said, I think that for at least the first visit or two, a guide can be very helpful and useful for learning the rivers and how to fish them. If you are looking at the rivers on the tip (York, Dartmouth, St. Jean), I'd definitely recommend contacting Ann Smith who runs Quebec Sporting.
If you want to fish around the Bonnaventure, Grand and Petite Cascapedia, Dave Bishop I believe is guiding around there (I think he can be reached through the Gaspe Salmon Adventures operation). There are other rivers in the Gaspe, but I have no experience with them.

Tight lines!

#3 ·
Gaspe fall fishing

Hello Pete and Fontinalis,

There are multiple options for fall fishing. Both the Mirimichi area and the Gaspe are excellent choices for the fall. The Mirimichi fishes until mid to later October, if I am not mistaken, and the Gaspe rivers fish until the end of September.

There are a few differences between the two areas that I am sure many other members here can point out like water clarity, fish runs, number of rivers etc... I would rather not go into detail as I do not want to sway you one way or the other. Perhaps some other readers can fill you in on the differnce between the two.

What I would like to make clear is that I sold my business GSD, in the winter of 2006 and am no longer working for that company. I am now GUIDING as an INDEPENDENT guide. So if you want to reach me, you can only reach me through a PM or by telephone. I do not want to advertise here as it is not allowed, however, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what my guide status is this year. I can assure you that I will indeed be guiding all summer and fall, just not for my old company which is now owned by another local camp.

If you are looking to make a trip on a less expensive budget, there are several options open to anglers both here on the Gaspe and in the Mirimichi area. You can rent a hotel room, cabin, B&B or camp out and can hire independent guides per day. In Quebec there is no guide law, so you can even fish on your own if you wish.

There are also several good outfitters in NB and QC to choose from if you are looking for a full service package.

If you need any more info, I will be happy to fill you in through a private message.

Juro, I hope that I am not crossing the line between advertising and simple info giving, if I did, I am sorry. I simply want to set the record straight about my guide status as there have been several people that have been misinformed lately.

Fontinalis, thanks for the plug! I appreciate it! I will send you my private info later today.

Screaming reels to you all!

Bish

David Bishop

#4 ·
Thanks for the info Dave. I knew that you had sold GSD, but not that you were now a totally independent (of GSD) guide. I stayed at GSD a few years back in the fall.

Anyways, I suggested Quebec sporting and Dave because I have used both in the past and have had good experiences.

Cheers,
Troy

#5 ·
Hey Troy!

I remember! I am glad that you had a good experience with us when I owned and operated the business. As I am now looking for less stress in my life and a way to get back to my "roots" I have decided to guide on my own and am very happy about the decision I have made.

The rivers look great at the moment and I am getting very excited about casting my first fly this season. As a few of the Gaspe rivers will open on the 22nd of May, I think I will be heading down there to see if I can coax a big bright fish to take my first offering of the season. That is, if there are any fresh ones in at that time. We will see!

I hope to see you this summer! If you are in the area, look me up, I am under Bishop in the phone book in New Richmond.

Tight lines and screaming reels!

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.