Fly Fishing Forum banner

Batten down the hatches...

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  MCorder 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Real men ain't scared of no stinkin' weather...

When it gets closer, Johnny Scissorhandz and I are going to the canyon for tuna! :razz:

FYI...after getting on the HurricaneTracker site, drag the cursor over the storm and projected path for more specific info...
It's all probabilities and a giant educated crap shoot...
The storm is in charge although the steering currents will help it decide where it decides to go...
So John, be sure to pack a clean/dry outfit for when we get plucked by the Coast Guard...the cameras will be running!

#8 ·
Yikes...

BAD news for the Bahamas and it looks like a Space Coast Friday/Saturday train wreck lookin' for a place to happen...

#11 ·
Cuba dodged the bullet...

Look closely at that space shot and you can pick out Guantanamo...
'Been there/'Done that/'Got the T-shirt!

Attachments

#13 ·
Phlying Phish...

Catch d' jour @ Andros...

Urban removal in progress!
It'll be a while before the dust settles...film at eleven!?...

#17 ·
Exuma looks to be ok!

I got an email from my friend down on Exuma and he reports that they came through it with minimal damage in his area. Lots of debris as you would expect but generally minor damage. The houses he's building are deisgned to "hurricane" specs and it looks like they came through ok. The South side where he's located took the worst of the storm surge (max winds in their location topped out at 100mph. But apart from the mess on the beach, nothing too drastic. Looks like they had a narrow escape - just pray for the rest of the Islands and Florida!

#19 ·
#20 ·
Pete as an ex pilot of the AC130 what is it like to fly though on of these things? My hat is off to the Air Force Reserve guys who fly these planes into the storm to get the data . They really got it right when they built the C130. It is a classic similar to the DC3.
FishHawk :D

#21 ·
Built like a brick #@&* house...

The C-130 is the modern DC-3 (which are still flying!)...no retirement in sight!
The weather birds based outa' Keesler Air Reserve Base are not your common cargo variety...quite specialized and EVERYTHING is tied/strapped down but good!
Normally we would avoid weather that produces lightning and severe turbulence but those boyz seek it out, dance with the goliath, and dispense sonar buoys while taking scientific readings that make the TV talking head weather folks look like heros!
Satellites give a great picture and warning but the folks who bury their noses into the stomach of the beast are the real thing...
Hats off to the Hurricane Hunters!!! Shaken, not stirred!

Attachments

#22 ·
Heard from the 'ol fishing buddy in Port St Lucie. Lost many roof shingles and a porch, but the main house made it through just fine. The winds were fierce for about 6 to 7 hours. No power since Sat at noon.. going to take a while to cleanup but everyone in the neighborhood is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.