Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ross Canyon BG 4 or 5?

11K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have an 8 weight, 10 foot Sage XP fly rod.
I am looking at the Ross Canyon fly reel, but I would like to know if I should get a Canyon 4 (lines 7-9) or a Canyon 5 (lines 8-10)?
Since the rod is a longer 10 foot rod, and an 8 weight, I was thinking that I should go for the Canyon 5 because of its greater backing capacity.
I was told by many that Ross over estimates their reel capacities, so should I get the 4 or 5?
What do you recommend?
Also, what do you have to say about the Ross Canyon? Good? They sure sound good!

http://www.rossreels.com

Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a Canyon BG #5 on my RPLXi and I'm a huge fan!!!

I did find that Ross is a bit on the optimistic side when it comes to backing capacity, though. Buy the #5 if you are looking for a large amount of backing.

By the way, not to plug anyone, but, L.L. Bean sells Ross reels now. If you go that route you not only have Ross's lifetime warranty, you have Bean's no questions asked guarantee as well. Redundancy is a good thing some times.

~Mark

#3 ·
Not that this plug will add any true value to this thread since I am a Doogue too but here goes...

I also have a Ross Canyon #5 (that way my brother and I can swap spools) and I got a little lazy soaking the reel last year. The end result - salt crystals in the drag. Ross gave me a very polite lecture on properly maintaining the reel and fixed the drag for free. The customer service at Ross is excellent.

The reel was back in my hands within 10 days of ship out to Ross and when it returned I was loving Ross even more than I was when I first purchased the reel.

Gotta love Ross.

-Mike

#5 ·
I use the 5 on a 9 weight and a 10 weight.

I think that you would be pleased with either the BG 4 or the BG 5. I have heard that the backing capacity is a bit overestimated so if you are really concerned about backing then maybe the 5 is for you.

Sorry that I could not give you more assistance with your dilemma.

-Mike

#6 ·
I think you will be fine either way but since you have a 10ft rod the bg5 may balance it out better.

I would bring the rod down to the fly shop and they should let you put them on your rod and get the one you feel balances out the rod. Having a balanced set up helps fight fatgiue as the day goes on.

Backing should not be a problem with either one. I think you would have plenty with the 4 or 5.

-sean

#7 ·
stillwater-
Bring the rod down to the shop to check out how each size balances the rod as that will determine which reel is the best fit.

Mark-
Any Ross dealer should accept any Ross back without any questions asked if there is any problem with the reel as the Ross company stands behind their product like no one else, is very very quick with repairs and are great people to work with. Do not mean to take a shot at LL Bean, but you gotta support the little guys!!! :)

#8 ·
Hi Stillwater, i used the Ross Canyon #4 for guiding on steelhead trips last year and i can not say enough good things about the reel. They where droped, kicked,stood on and they work great, i even had one thrown at me but thats another story:D . If you go with the #4 use the micronite backing and you will get 200yds on it easy. Ross's warranty starting this year is the best out there i think, "If your reel should need attention please return it to Ross, We will promptly attend to you reel and return ship no more than two days after receiviing it".tight lines,brian:devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.