Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead Fly of the week  Golden Edge Orange

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
Steelhead Fly of the week – Golden Edge Orange

The Originator of this fly, Harry Lemire of Black Diamond, Washington, created it in 1971. Lemire says that this is one of his favorite wet flies. He fishes it with a greased line presentation in the summer using small sized flies and he fishes it in large sizes on a sinking line in the winter. A variation of this fly is the Golden Edge Yellow; witch simply has a yellow body instead of orange.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat silver tinsel.
Tail: Golden pheasant crest.
Rib: Flat silver tinsel.
Body: Orange seal dubbing or substitute.
Hackle: Guinea hen tied in as a beard.
Under wing: Gray squirrel tail
Wing: Brown mallard.
Topping: Golden pheasant crest.
Head: Red.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Charlie,

An interesting variation of this fly I've seen at times has the guinea dyed orange.

Harry is one of the icons of northwest steelhead flyfishing and he still gets out and fishes both summer and winter. By-the-way, Harry ties some of the most gorgeous classic featherwing salmon classics you will ever see, and he does so with the hook held in his hands without a vise.

#4 ·
flytyer,

Thanks for the idea; I will have to tie some up with that variation.

Skilly,

At first I thought I was a bit old to be adopted, but then Juro told me not to write it off until I find out what kind of trust fund you are going to set up for me. :hihi:

Glad you like the flies!

Charlie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.