Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic Salmon trips

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  humberriver 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name's Andrew with Tight Lines Fly Fishing if you don't already know. I'm a new sponser of the Spey Pages and Worldwide Forum. I'll be donating a Hardy Salmon Bougle shortly for auction (if Juro would get back to me already :hehe: )

I just wanted to pass this on to everyone here. I run trips to Canada during the summer for Atlantic Salmon. These trips are to Newfoundland. We stay at a very nice lodge located on the west side of the island. The weeks I have trips on are July 3rd-10th & 10th-17th & August 14th-21st. The trip is relatively inexpensive at approx $1350 US which includes lodging, guides, meals, canadian taxes and your fishing lisence for 6 days. Additional would be airfare, gratuities, and alcoholic beverages. Some of the rivers we fish or can fish include the Harry's River, Condroy River, Flat Bay Brook, Robinsons River, and the Humber River. We also run a trip to Andros Island in April for bonefish.

If anyone is interested in coming with us on one of these trips or going on thier own to the lodge I'd be happy to provide more information.

Thanks,
Andrew
973-244-5990

See less See more
#2 ·
Andrew,

I forgot to mention that part of the sponsorship is my trip to the North American salmon mecca that is Newfoundland; don't worry about flies I will bring my own ;)

Seriously, I am working through my queue of banner designs (I'm slow but thorough) and will get yours ready. We will get the Bougle up for auction over the weekend, and the first bid will be mine (hopefully the last one as well). Although these are technicalities consider yourself a full-fledged sponsor and thanks again on behalf of the forum.

Juro

#6 ·
Hi guys,

Below I will best describe the rivers we fish.

The Harry's River (the river the lodge lies along) is a medium sized river averaging 40-80 feet across in it's upper reaches and 60-160 feet across in it's lower reaches. It's bottom consists of mostly small to medium stones/rocks with some gravel, shale and boulders in certain areas. The upper portion is mostly pockets and smaller pools while the lower stretches are wider with more pool definition. There is a good mix of both grilse and salmon to 30+ pounds. The average fish caught is approx 6-8 pounds. This is good water for a lighter spey although it can be fished with a single hand comfortably.

The Codroy River is a larger river consisting of fast runs between shale and rock banks. The bottom is a mix of shale, rock and gravel. This is excellent spey water although it can be covered with a single hand. There is a mix of grilse and salmon here with a good number of large salmon. Last year a buddy and I on our first pass hooked 4 fish all of which were salmon except one. The river ranges from 80-200 feet across

Flat Bay Brook is more of a river then a brook. It is medium sized in a spectacular setting. It consists mostly of gravel and in some areas small rocks/stones and a few boulders. This is excellent bomber (dry fly) water, but is fished equally as well with wets. There is a good mix of grilse and salmon. Good water for both a spey or single hand.

The Robinsons River is a small-medium sized river ranging from 20-80 feet across. There are mostly grilse with some salmon mixed in. This river can provide some quick action at times.

The Humber River is only a option for the August trip. It is an August river. The river is fast moving and large. it is fished primarily from boats, however wading is possible in certain areas. It is excellent spey water. The fish average 15+ pounds with fish to 40 and 50 pounds being recorded over the years. Recently (in the last few years) some lucky guy landed a fish in the 52 pound range :whoa:.

There are a few other rivers that we can fish, including rivers that require a little hiking, if that is something you'd like to do. Often we hitch flies on the rivers in Newfoundland which provides excellent top-water takes. Bombers and other dries also work exceptionally well on most of the rivers. The wet flies generally average from size 2-12, 6-10 being most popular. Undertakers, coosebooms, hairy mary's, blue charms, copper killers (especially after a good rain), green highlanders, etc are all good flies with many others working equally as well.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Thanks,
Andrew Moy
973-244-5990

#8 ·
Smolt -

On the Codroy there is plenty of room for a single hand. On the Harry's, there is room in most areas, but occasionally limited. The areas where it's limited however, the river is usually smaller and a long roll cast will cover the water. Many of the guys last year fished only single hand rods and had no problems.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Andrew Moy
973-244-5990

#9 ·
The humber is much more than just a August River. The fishing in the upper section of the Humber begins approx. the first week of June, with the majority of the fish for a couple of weeks being in the 10-20 pound range. Approx the thrid week of June the grilse are in full swing. For quantity of fish, this is the very best time on the Humber. This runs till approx the 2nd week of July, then the fishing really tapers off, and gets a little better towards the end of august when the peak of the run of Jacks are in the river. The previous post must of been referring to ONLY the Lower Humber, which is the place to go for monster salmon, but, doesn`t compare to the upper when referring to quantity of fish, mostly grilse though. And the fishing on the Upper Humber is 99% wading with single handed rods, though Spey rods are becoming more popular there every season. They can certainly reach out, but it sucks fishing alongside one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.