Fly Fishing Forum banner

Juve with Polar Fibre

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
Just trying out the digital camera and I hope I exported this image properly. It's a Juvenile herring, about 4.5 inches tied on a circle hook.

#5 ·
Hi Steve;

I have yet to fish with the circle hooks (well, I tried them in the bathtub to make sure they swim upright). I looked at some of the archived posts on circle hooks and read very good things as well as bad things. There are conflicting reports, but I'm going to give them a shot this year. I think I will stick with these 3 patterns most of the time, but I have to admit, I've taken my biggest fish on clousers. I can get into a rut sometimes when tying, and I depend on this board alot to "get back on track", so to speak. I think the flatwings are awesome!

#7 ·
By the way...

... is there a book available that outlines the tying method for those flies? I've always liked the look of them, but don't want to waste a lot of time and materials at the vice figuring out the proper tying method. Something with step by step instructions would be great.

#8 ·
Hey there;

I'm not sure if there is a book about this style, but I can tell you how I do it. Using monofilament thread, I tie in a short strand of polar fibre towards the back of the hook, longer strands in the middle and shorter towards the front of the hook. This gives the fly a nice taper. I like to use the crystal flash in the middle. I rotate the fly 180 degrees and lightly epoxy the bottom (just enough to coat the underside of the hook and the monofilament wraps). Then I add the eyes, again using epoxy. It is a very lifelike and durable fly. I've used the polar fibre before with great results, but this will be my first time with the circle hooks - not sure what to expect. Hope this helps!

#9 ·
Ahhh... yes, that helps quite a bit. I haven't done too much with Polar Fibre, though I imagine that EP Fibers are a similar type of material. So all of the material is tied directly on top of the shank, none of it elsewhere? Thanks for all of your help...

Chris

#11 ·
Broche - Have you had a chance to try these flies out yet? Just wondering what the verdict was on the circle hooks. I've been using Mustad's new C71S SS Circle Streamer hooks for quite a few patterns recently, and will try tying some of your examples in that manner. Of course, I'll actually have to tie around the hook shank, so we'll see how it goes.

#14 ·
Tied one of these up this morning; haven't received my digital camera yet so I can't take a snap shot of it at the moment, but I made the discovery that if you're going to commit to using Polar Fibre on one aspect of the fly, you'd better have every color you need for the pattern in that same material. I used some lavender kinky fiber for accent, and the result was a gap between that material and the bottom layers of Polar Fibre I used. Guess I'll have to place an order with Hunter's tomorrow to pick up a few more colors; also ran out of epoxy eyes. So I guess the message is that the materials should be of the same overall physical characteristics in order to "blend them" together on the same fly. This is probably an unspoken rule of tying patterns such as this one, guess I found out for myself!

#16 ·
Greetings;

The eyes are plastic covex eyes (the most lifelike I am able to find - Coty's at the Somerset and Marlboro shows always has them). They are stuck on, then I carefully drip epoxy on the top and bottom, making sure it sinks in. I have not tried the circle hooks yet, but I had another version of this fly tied on a 34007 which was very effective. I will tie them in yellow and green in addition to the blue and black.

Bill

#17 ·
Juve

broche said:
Greetings;

The eyes are plastic covex eyes (the most lifelike I am able to find - Coty's at the Somerset and Marlboro shows always has them). They are stuck on, then I carefully drip epoxy on the top and bottom, making sure it sinks in. I have not tried the circle hooks yet, but I had another version of this fly tied on a 34007 which was very effective. I will tie them in yellow and green in addition to the blue and black.

Bill
Bill
Does Coty's have a link?.

#19 ·
Hi Joe; I'm not sure if they have a link. They send out a newsletter/catalogue, but I've been stocking up at there booth at the flyfishing shows. I almost clean them out. These are the best eyes I have seen and I get various sizes. After the epoxy settles between the eyes, the fly is virtually indestructable.

#20 ·
juve

broche said:
Hi Joe; I'm not sure if they have a link. They send out a newsletter/catalogue, but I've been stocking up at there booth at the flyfishing shows. I almost clean them out. These are the best eyes I have seen and I get various sizes. After the epoxy settles between the eyes, the fly is virtually indestructable.
Broche
Do you have an address, so that I may order a catolog?.
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.