Fly Fishing Forum banner

Marc LeBlanc's Jones Special

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  wrke 
#1 ·
Charlie sent me one of these and I thnk it will be a killer dolly/steelhead pattern when the we get low flows in the winter. Can somebady post the full recipe. Think I got it from looking at the fly but do not want to miss anything.

Thanks,

-sean

#2 ·
Tag: oval silver tinsel; Body: very lightly textured pearly white flashy body material (can't think what it's called); Rib: oval silver tinsel; Wing: I believe Marc uses white arctic fox (what he's sent me) — I use either the fox (small flies) or white polar bear — also a few strands of peal krystal flash over; dark grey spey hackle (origin, your choice); Collar: two turns silver pheasant; jungle cock cheeks. White thread. Marc also adds another of his trademark touches — a small band of blue thread midway in the head of white thread.

#5 ·
Sean,

Lagartun mini flat braid is great for the body on this fly. There are some other flat braids that work good too. Stay away from the round braids. They make the body look too bulky.

Ted,

I will try to post a picture tomorrow. I know I have one, just have to find it.

Charlie.

#7 ·
Very nice Bill,

This is the pattern I got out of Paul Marriner's book.

Hook: Up eye Salmon hook
Tag: Small oval silver tinsel.
Rib: Small oval silver tinsel.
Body: Pearl Uni Axxel Flash.
Wing: White bucktail, pearl blue krystal flash (#14) under light brown bucktail
Collar: Grey heron and silver pheasant as a collar.
Cheeks: Jungle cock.
Head: White with blue band.

Funny thing about some of Marks Patterns, they seem to evolve over time. The Picasse is an example of this. He started tying it with a cheek of amherst pheasant and later deleted this and used a silver pheasant collar. The attached is my version of the fly.

Charlie.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks Charlie
Yes, the krystal flash I use is also the bluish, pearl stuff. And you're right, Marc's flies seem to change — I think the original Picasse upper wing was black bucktail. I got one from him last year that uses gray fox. I've always liked black kid goat. Our flies are always evolving. BTW, the lovely Lady Caroline you gave me at the Cat is over my flytying table.
Best,
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.